Original Skeeter Pee Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I followed Lon’s original recipe and used a slurry from a while Barry White Zinfandel kit

What was your recipe for this if you don't mind me asking? It looks really good...
Yeah, I used the original recipe also, from start to finish. I used a merlot slurry which gave it the peachy pinkish blush color. I tried a batch several years ago that, if I recall correctly, just tasted like sweetened alcohol and I dumped the whole carboy. I don't know what I may have done wrong, but I tried to do everything correct according to the recipe. The only thing I could think of is that I pitched an EC1118 packet instead of slurry the first time, although the merlot slurry was EC1118 also. This time it turned out lemony and really delicious.

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to use real squeezed lemon juice to make skeeter pee, because I cannot find it where I live

SP has been fermenting for 5 weeks. 1.078 OG and now down to 0.994.
Thing is a machine

Can anything be done to stop it now or is it best to just ride it out?

What do you mean by stopping it? If it's below .995 and the SG is the same for about 3 days in a row (i.e. not continuing to drop), it's fermented to dry.

At that point, you can follow the next steps in the recipe:

Allow the Pee to ferment dry and for fermentation to stop (SG between 0.998 and 0.995). Rack into a clean, sanitized carboy. Give the batch a quick degas (use agitation and vacuum if you have the equipment). Add 1/2 tsp Kmeta, 2 1/2 tsp sorbate, and Sparkolliod (follow directions on the package). After two weeks, the Skeeter Pee should be crystal clear. Rack into a clean, sanitized carboy, add 6 cups sugar, and stir to dissolve. Wait two weeks to be sure no new fermentation begins and bottle.

Search for "Original Skeeter Pee" if you need the instructions again.

What do you mean by stopping it? If it's below .995 and the SG is the same for about 3 days in a row (i.e. not continuing to drop), it's fermented to dry.

At that point, you can follow the next steps in the recipe:

Allow the Pee to ferment dry and for fermentation to stop (SG between 0.998 and 0.995). Rack into a clean, sanitized carboy. Give the batch a quick degas (use agitation and vacuum if you have the equipment). Add 1/2 tsp Kmeta, 2 1/2 tsp sorbate, and Sparkolliod (follow directions on the package). After two weeks, the Skeeter Pee should be crystal clear. Rack into a clean, sanitized carboy, add 6 cups sugar, and stir to dissolve. Wait two weeks to be sure no new fermentation begins and bottle.

Search for "Original Skeeter Pee" if you need the instructions again.

Thank-you, I think this is where my rookie-ness comes into play. It’s been 0.994 3 days in a row but still bubbling, I’ve also degassed twice so have made the assumption it is more than just out-gassing. Shall I rack and k-meta, degas again and see if it’s still bubbling in a few days?
To all intents and purposes it just appears to me to be still fermenting albeit it slowly.
Bubbles in the airlock are about 1 every 3-4 seconds

Thank-you, I think this is where my rookie-ness comes into play. It’s been 0.994 3 days in a row but still bubbling, I’ve also degassed twice so have made the assumption it is more than just out-gassing. Shall I rack and k-meta, degas again and see if it’s still bubbling in a few days?
To all intents and purposes it just appears to me to be still fermenting albeit it slowly.
Bubbles in the airlock are about 1 every 3-4 seconds

If the sg is stable at .994, then yes, the bubbles are from the wine degassing. It's more accurate to say that the manual degassing is actually jump starting the degassing process rather than waiting for the wine to degas naturally over time. In other words - you started it degassing, but it still takes some time to finish.

If it were me, I would complete the next steps - racking, stabilizing, adding clearing agents, and backsweetening - and then let it sit again for a few weeks.

While this wine CAN be done quickly, it doesn't hurt it if you take extra time between steps (assuming it's under airlock). And some batches are just on their own timelines.

I have a key lime skeeter pee going right now that has been difficult and very slow. This is the third time I have made it, though, so I expected that and am just letting it do its thing in its own time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back