What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Standing in a socially-distanced line with masks on to buy Gulf shrimp 🍤 and Red Snapper 🐟 from the company that @jamesngalveston
28515.jpg
worked at.

61428339456__255FCEDF-7223-4550-BC8E-007205213C50.JPG

Leftover night. Took some 'sandwich flats' that we like to use for burger buns and made pizzas with the leftover sauce, cheese and toppings - that was for the kiddos. I had leftover pasta salad from last night, mixed with a grilled chicken breast from earlier in the week and a little of the Champagne Vinaigrette left from last night. Mama made her own pizza from the leftovers on a couple slices of Italian bread (not pictured).

1592610542842.jpeg

1592610563708.jpeg

We enjoyed a heavenly dinner. We had a preprandial drink of Bogle Chard and fresh CSA strawberries and an appetizer of frou-frou goat cheese on ho-made bread (toasted). The hour got late, so I abbreviated my plans for the main meal. We had leftover grilled corn (marjoram, garlic); parboiled-then-grilled green beans with sauteed red onions; and grilled red snapper (allspice/garlic/ginger) with a ho-made mango/jalapeno/cilantro/red onion/lime salsa. It was really divine, and we are still reveling in it!

IMG_0656.JPGIMG_0657.JPGIMG_0661.JPGIMG_0659.JPGIMG_0662.JPG

So thrilled I fixed up my gas grill. I had forgotten how convenient it is. A simple lunch of hot dogs, but only about ten minutes from decision to consumption. And since I just finished filtering my Viognier and Petite Manseng, a little PM left from the filter canister to wash it down.

Had a hankering for some rye bread, was looking through a magazine that had the directions to start up a sourdough culture and it had a Jewish rye recipe. Did the quick recipe that you don't have to start a sponge, more of a light rye (3:1 bread flour to rye), but even my finicky daughter had a second slice (nothing like cutting warm bread and melting a pat of butter on it).

Thinking this might be a good recipe for a bread I can cook on the KettlePizza setup as it cools down (below 500*F).
6-20-20_rye-2 - Copy.jpg

6-20-20_rye-1.jpg

I am but a young grasshopper. Everything I know I learned from someone who wishes to remain anonymous but he confesses to being an Eagles fan and he is currently holed up in the Peoples Republic of PA so that may give it away. First attempt at Ho-made sourdough bread. Had some fun getting a starter going but finally did with the help of my mentor. Can't wait to give it a 2nd go later this week!

IMG_5492.JPGfullsizeoutput_3ff2.jpeg

IMG_5501.JPG

IMG_5499.JPG

Happy Solstice!
Grilled Gulf shrimp from @jamesngalveston's old company (coriander, cumin, turmeric); grilled green garlic; broccoli (par-cooked, charred on grill, lemon juice); corn-of-the-cob (garlic, za'atar). Mrs. Sour_Grapes made a nice salad of green-leaf lettuce, kohlrabi, basil, cilantro, garlic greens, Calabrian peppers, avocado, and a ho-made dressing with lots of mustard and soy milk (of all things!?!). Desert was grilled nectarine with heavy cream.

IMG_0663.JPGIMG_0665.JPGIMG_0666.JPG

Need to plan for BBQ ribs on the Weber kettle.

Do you guys do 3-2-1? (3 hours, then wrap 2 hours and finally unwrap and glaze for 1 hour).

I’ll be watching YouTube but if you have a good simple dry rub recommendation let me know.

Need to plan for BBQ ribs on the Weber kettle.

Do you guys do 3-2-1? (3 hours, then wrap 2 hours and finally unwrap and glaze for 1 hour).

I’ll be watching YouTube but if you have a good simple dry rub recommendation let me know.

I don't wrap, but many do. Here's a couple ideas. Cooking Topics - The Virtual Weber Bullet

Note that the 3-2-1 time is usually for spareribs. Babybacks cook much faster.

Back