What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that @Rocky did a nicer job on finishing those carciofi. Nonetheless, we enjoyed ours a lot. I made a dipping sauce of butter, green garlic tops, tarragon, and lemon. Sauteed/braised bok choy with onions and more green garlic tops. Roasted green garlic bulbs (which were delicious, by the way). And braised beef short ribs (marinated in lemon/soy/sherry/jalapeno, cooked over onions), served with plain Basmati rice. I tried very hard to ruin the short ribs by overcooking them and drying out the braise, but they were too robust for me to completely ruin. ;)

61395797595__527712FE-9F51-45E4-A6E0-77015A739700.JPG61395786106__6A18501B-8CA3-4C09-94CA-75EFEB85A66B.JPG

Last edited:
I mentioned above that I had to prematurely harvest a lot of green (immature) garlic. So, I have been trying to use them up, and basically planned this meal around them!

We enjoyed the leftover artichoke described above, with a dipping sauce of butter/green garlic/tarragon/EVOO/lemon. I also made sauteed escarole with lots of green garlic, all of which was then braised in sherry. The main course featured sauteed mushrooms and a little bit of leftover ribeye steak pieces sauteed with LOTS of chopped green garlic, all served on angel-hair spaghetti with parmigiano-reggiano. We were full afterwards, but we both reached for seconds of the pasta anyway! :)

IMG_0648.JPG

Have a new neighbor who moved in maybe two months ago. I gave him some extra tomato plants I started, now we take turns giving each other whatever we have that is extra and cool (tomatoes are just too cool). He has a 17 to 18 foot canoe that he lent to me last evening. My youngest Son and I decided to go fishing from somewhere other than the bank of the lake we live near (we used to have a boat, now we don't). Had a fun evening fishing and even got an upper body workout (he's not the best paddler).

So we caught a few crappie, kept six of them, smallest was 11 1/2 inches, largest was 13 1/2 inches. Monsters for our lake and big enough to fillet. So after cooking up some bacon, cut the bacon grease with some canola oil (75/25 in favor of the bacon), filleted the fish and coated with gluten free flour mixed with salt, pepper and smoke paprika. Washed with some buttermilk and dredged in some gf bread crumbs. Cooked for 3-4 minutes per side @ 400*F.

Best fish sandwich I think I ever had. The crappie was so fresh. Yum!

6-16-2020_crappie-1.jpg

6-17-20_crappie-1.jpg

6-17-20_crappie-2.jpg

Sun came out, got pretty nice. Hit the easy button and marinated some boneless chicken thighs in Greek salad dressing for a few hours. Wifey making some GF mac 'n cheese and a salad. Trying to eat on time so my youngest Son and I can go fishing again. Maybe some more crappie or even a nice walleye? We'll see, but a nice evening to be outside.

6-18-20_chicken.jpg

Adobo chicken thighs (from the freezer); escarole (EVOO, garlic, sherry); French lentils (bay, garlic, onion); and broiled asparagus (tarragon, fennel, lemon juice, S&P). Plus some fresh ho-made bread sneaking into the top of the picture.

Not washed down by anything because I have to go out on an errand this evening. :(

IMG_0655.JPG

Interestingly, the fields were closed due to the threat of storms, so we didn't have baseball practice (It's now after 9pm and no storms have surfaced - it's actually quite pleasant out). Decided to make it steak night after a freezer dive uncovered some nice, vacuum sealed pieces of NY Strip and nice filets. Sous Vide for about 3 hours, then onto the grill over charcoal and some spent oak cubes. Grilled asparagus and a ho-made pasta salad with ho-made Champagne vinaigrette. Oh, and the other day, I found my Weber steak knives that I hadn't seen since we moved in 2015. 😳 Pictured below, half of a Prime NY Strip from Costco and the aforementioned sides.

1592529240164.jpeg

1592529300264.jpeg

Interestingly, the fields were closed due to the threat of storms, so we didn't have baseball practice (It's now after 9pm and no storms have surfaced - it's actually quite pleasant out). Decided to make it steak night after a freezer dive uncovered some nice, vacuum sealed pieces of NY Strip and nice filets. Sous Vide for about 3 hours, then onto the grill over charcoal and some spent oak cubes. Grilled asparagus and a ho-made pasta salad with ho-made Champagne vinaigrette. Oh, and the other day, I found my Weber steak knives that I hadn't seen since we moved in 2015. 😳 Pictured below, half of a Prime NY Strip from Costco and the aforementioned sides.

View attachment 62478

View attachment 62479

Nice looking plate right there, meat may be a little bit too red for me, but I'd take it...lol

Latest posts

Back