What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In laws came in for a few days. Last night made fish tacos with my cilantro lime sauce. Had "1" one clove of fresh garlic and Mrs IB was up all night. Next time garlic powder I guess.......

fish-taco-5.jpg

Wifey's B-day dinner today. I always ask what the birthday celebrant wants for dinner. She said basically "whatever". I know we don't usually have steak, but Giant had rib and strip roasts on sale for $7.99 and $6.99 /lb, so went for the strips (even though I prefer the ribeyes, but not my "special" day). Did them up on charcoal and served with twice baked taters and some fresh salad, with a few beverages on the side. Seasoned with some salt and pepper, beef flavor definitely dominated. Some hickory wood may have found its way on top of the charcoal, not sure who would have done that. :?

4-20-19_steak.jpg

Happy birthday, Mrs. Eaton! Steaks look great, Craig.

I'm having a NY Strip too. SV for about 3 hours, rubbed with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express. Also doing a couple small tenderloins for the wife and kids with Montreal. CotC, Tots and Caesar salad to round it out.

Same thing that’s always for dinner on Easter....mudbugs!!!! We got some exceptionally large ones this year, cooked and ate 140# with all the fixings. Broke down and drank a couple beers, and remembered why I prefer wine, switched over to Venge Scouts Honor about that time. Chillin on the couch with Mrs. JohnD, waiting for GOT!!
04005472-BC36-45C8-B912-7787126BFD15.jpeg

Same thing that’s always for dinner on Easter....mudbugs!!!! We got some exceptionally large ones this year, cooked and ate 140# with all the fixings. Broke down and drank a couple beers, and remembered why I prefer wine, switched over to Venge Scouts Honor about that time. Chillin on the couch with Mrs. JohnD, waiting for GOT!!
View attachment 54352

Dang! I've never even had crawfish before, but I think I could devour that entire platter.

Dang! I've never even had crawfish before, but I think I could devour that entire platter.

And I think I’d love to see you enjoy trying!! That’s 70 pounds, but you could knock down 20 if you’re good.....and just for good measures, put a roll of toilet paper in the freezer.....trust me on this.

So, searching up your Scout's Honor mention, I came across this: https://www.totalwine.com/wine/red-...y-creek-valley/p/143710750?s=201&igrules=true

Being one of those Winery Direct Wines, I'm not sure what to make of it, but the reviews are pretty solid. Wasn't sure if you or @ibglowin have tried it, but with recent comments regarding The Prisoner, I found this a bit interesting.

Nor I, but I did look it up on CT, not a large holding or response sampling from any of the vintages, but here’s how it stacks up:
35075C94-D9E2-4788-A4F7-020BB11D5CE5.png

Normally Friday is pizza night, but it was put on hold until tomorrow by me (didn't have time to make a good dough for the pizza and stromboli). When I buy chickens (suitable for beer can chicken - ususally in the 4 - 5.5 lb range) they come in a two pack. Since I threw the original packing out when I made the first chicken, had to guess when I had to use it so it was still the best quality. Since it's chicken I try not to push the limits too far (don't need an EM visit).

Spatchcocked the remaining chicken and did it on the Weber kettle using part lump charcoal and a few briquettes infused with apple wood. Cooked up just as planned (on time) so the wifey and kids could attend the once a month event up at our local church. Dinners done, it's early, it's Friday...guess a few beers or a bottle of wine are in order! BTW it was yum!

Sunday is a boneless turkey breast (netted) so I didn't want to have a fowl meal two nights in a row.

5-3-19_chicken.jpg

I like those potato holders, I'll have to look into a set of those. (Trying my had at growing some red skinned taters. I imagine they'll be good, but grilling them with a setup like that would make them ambrosia)

Just par boil them and throw 'em on the grate.

One of the kids got me those for Fathers day last year IIRC. First time using them. Worked great. Looks like you can find them on Amazon and Target etc,

GUEST_27acff7b-9364-4c2b-b3e0-e0627040e637

I like those potato holders, I'll have to look into a set of those. (Trying my had at growing some red skinned taters. I imagine they'll be good, but grilling them with a setup like that would make them ambrosia)

Latest posts

Back