Kit won't clear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been making wine for a long time but only just happened to come across a situation where I can't get it to clear! This case is a Vineco CC kit. I racked it as usual, degassed completely, added the Potassium Sorbate followed by the chitosan. However, nearly 3 weeks later and although there seems to be some sediment drop there is no clearing at all. Usually this is ready for filtering at day 5 or 6.
So.....I don't know what to do, I don't fancy waiting a long time to let it clear but I don't fancy adding more finings as I don't know how this will effect the flavor. Any suggestions would be welcome!

First question "Vineco CC kit" ... is this a Vineco California Connoisseur or a Vineco Cellar Craft kit?

Second question ... have you tried to contact Vineco support?

Steve

First question "Vineco CC kit" ... is this a Vineco California Connoisseur or a Vineco Cellar Craft kit?

Second question ... have you tried to contact Vineco support?

Steve

Hey Steve,
It's a California Connoisseur - never even considered contacting them directly. Think I might get in touch with them though! Thanks

haze and wine

IN some kits there is a high pectin content, in that event try adding pectin enzyme to act as a stabilizer and finding agent sometimes kits as well as fresh juice has a hard time in the finding stage ,try the enzyme.:wy this should help you out.:wy

Adding another fining agent wont hurt it. Most likely the company is going to send you another packet of Chitosan. I myself would get SuperKleer KC which is a 2 part blend or Sparkaloid and Im willing to bet this will work MUCH better. I stopped using what comes with kits unless 1 of these is whats supplied as I have had way too many problems with what they supply.

I have had a couple kits not clear well. Wade is right try SuperKleer.

not sure if this helps, but...I have done a fig,a mustang grape,and a peach.
all got super hot (90)degrees in the primary from fermentation process.
all three were very very hard to clear.
even after super kleer, which always works, it still took a few weeks to clear.

trouble with clearring

Natural clarification takes place as wine ages in barrel, its suspended particles gradually falling to the bottom.

In wine tasting, a wine is considered "clear" when there are no visible particles suspended in the liquid and, especially in the case of white wines, when there is some degree of transparency. A wine with too much suspended matter will appear cloudy and dull, even if its aroma and flavor are unaffected; wines therefore generally undergo some kind of clarification
Before fermentation, pectin-splitting enzymes and, for white wine, fining agents such as bentonite may be added to the must in order to promote the agglomeration and settling of colloids later.[Pectins are structural molecules in the cell walls of fruits which have the important function of 'gumming' plant cells together. The pectin content of grapes increases steadily throughout ripening, reaching levels of about 1 g/l, although it varies by varietal and pre-fermentation handling processes. Large pectin molecules can affect the amount of juice yielded at pressing, ease of filtration and clarification, and extraction of tannins. Grapes contain natural pectolytic enzymes responsible for softening the grape berries during ripeneing, but these are not active under wine-making conditions (due to pH level, SO2, and alcohol.) Therefore, fungal pectolytic enzymes are often added to white must to break up pectins, decrease the viscosity of the juice, and speed up settling. In red musts, this increases colour and tannin extraction.
After fermentation, the force of gravity may eventually cause the wine to "fall bright" or clarify naturally, as the larger suspended particles gradually settle to the bottom of the storage vessel. The wine can then be siphoned or "racked" off the compact solids into a new container.] But this process may take many months, or even years, as well as several rackings, in order to produce a perfectly clear wine. Producers can accelerate the process by using fining agents, filtration and/or flotation.

:uthere are always other considerations to take into account, but pectin haze in highly concentrate kits(whites) sometimes don't fit the standard approach.:u

Did you degas the wine really well? CO2 could make the problem worse.
Taste it and determine if there is any fizz in the wine.

Back