Sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhythmsteve

Reaction score
No matter how many times I rack off my lees, I still have sediment at the bottom of my brews and especially my hard ciders, even after bottling. Is there a solution for this?

Let it set in the caryboy longer, cold crash, rack more carefully, use a fining agent like sparkaloid or SuperKleer and even filter. The little bit of sediement in the bottom of the bottle probably not hurting anything, just looks bad, learn to be a careful pourer. I have an apple cider cyser that is at least 8 months old and shows no sign of going to clear, added pectinase at the start, it just doesnt want to do it, might have to fine it.

rhythmsteve - I filter all of my white wines, and hard cider, this makes all the difference in the world, one pass through the All in One Wine Pump with the filter keeps the wine sparkling clear, of course, as WVMJ stated, let it sit longer, and I use a fining agent as well, the y turn out as clear as any commercial wine.

Sediment in the wine

:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u

When you continue to rack and continue to have dropout is't usually due to PECTIN in the wine, your seem clear and then before you know it you have some residue on the bottom, and you it again and a little more residues on the bottom .and your wine is not ready to be bottled because of it , you don't have any type of bottle filtering system, then I recommend to add more super clear until the process stops also which may help pectin enzyme ,this will also help settle out the fine particles you can see in the wine.
:u Question= what type of wine is it ? how long have you had?
What quantity are we talking about?
Where is it being?
What temperature is at ?

These things will help greatly to determine your filtering system problem .:u Your

what type of wine is it ? 12 gallons of hard cider, 5 gallons Strawberry
how long have you had? Since November, 4 times racked
What quantity are we talking about? see above
Where is it being? climate controlled basement - between 68 and 76 degrees year round
What temperature is at ?

Latest posts

Back