Other Tempranillo, or Tempranillo Cabernet?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I want to start a Tempranillo later this year and am looking at two kits at the moment: the Cellar Craft Showcase Tempranillo and the Spagnols Winery Series Tempranillo Cabernet? Does anyone have insight into either of these? I imagine both are good, but would be curious to hear some feedback - especially from anyone who had done both. I'm certainly open to others as well.

Thanks!!

Jim

Tempranillo is on my list to do this year as well. In addition to the two that you listed, I was also considering the WE Selection Int Tempranillo with Grape Skins. I was about to pull the trigger on this kit this week but ended up deciding on another white (WE LE Riesling/Chenin Blanc) instead.

Can't wait to hear what others have to say about these kits.

-Josh

If your looking for something a little different I would go with the Tempranillo/Cabernet. I like a blend over a single varietal. Just more interesting.

I had my first bottle of the WE Selection Int Tempranillo with Grape Skins just this past weekend. It is now 4 months in the bottle, I followed the 90 day (stretched out to 100 days) extended schedule.

Still a tiny bit fruity and the oak has yet to show through the fruit flavor, but overall I think this one will turn out well in a year or so. Tons of flavor and good body.

I love a good Tempranillo, so I wouldn't even try it as a blend. That's what is so nice about wines, there is a taste for everybody!

Like Mike, I prefer blends and made a Tempranillo/Cab blend a few years ago; it was a Winexpert LE kit and one of the best wines I've made. I haven't made a straight Tempranillo but have had commercial ones and they were good. I would still go with the blend. I also find blends tend to be earlier drinking than varietals.

@BoatBoy

I have made the RJS winery series Tempranillo/Cabernet in November of 2012 along with several others of that series. So far, at 8 months, it is my favorite by a significant margin.

I would qualify the taste as a somewhat fruity start with a nice OOMPH finish.

I would definitely endorse this one.

Unfortunately, I have not made the other one, so my feedback is not comprehensive....

I did the RJS LQ Toro, Tempranillo, Granache two years ago and the WE LE Matador Trio, Tempranillo. Cabernet, Monstrell last year. Taking into account the year difference in age, I prefer the RJS, Toro over the WE, Trio. The Trio with the Cabernet and Monastrell is considerably more tannic, with the Toro being more smooth and supple. If your taste is more spicy and tannic I would go with the Cab blend. If you lean towards softer less acidic wines go with the CC Showcase straight Tempralillo. With all of that said I haven't met a CC Showcase or RJS Winery Series that I didn't like.

I did the RJS Toro 2 years back and the Tango Tempranillo - Malbec blend that was bottled about 7 months ago. Both are very good. If you really want a Tempranillo varietal, the Cellar Craft Showcase Tempranillo is bound to be awesome. I tend to agree that it's best as a blended wine and I always recommend the RJS kits, especially the Winery Series.

Either way you can't go wrong. What would I do? Probably both :)

I just want to tell you that I finally broke down last night (mostly due to this thread) and popped the cork on my now 2 year old CC Showcase LR (2011) Cabernet-Carmenare. Holy cow did this one turn out spectacular. I opened my last split at 18mo and was not impressed. Just seemed young and green still. 6 months later and it has settled in and just amazing. Lots of tweaks of course, including Vadai barrel, extra tannin etc oh and waiting 2 years helps ALOT. :sm

The WE Selection Int Tempranillo with Grape Skins is very good. I'm drinking a glass now at 10 months old. Highly recommend!

The WE Selection Int Tempranillo with Grape Skins is very good. I'm drinking a glass now at 10 months old. Highly recommend!

Glad to hear about this kit. I just bottled one a month ago and it was very tasty then. Can't wait for a little age on it. Love the peppery finish on this. Exactly what I wanted.

Latest posts

Back