Greg's North Dakota Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's about time for an update. I was able to get the east and south pastures tilled up before the ground froze so it's all ready for planting in the spring. I have already ordered 100 petite pearl, 75 marquette and 75 frontenac blanc vines. I'm working with some friends to get cuttings of brianna. I'm planning on putting in the east vineyard this coming year. Planting party is set for Memorial Day weekend.

In the meantime, it's been cold outside so I've been working on the inside of the farm house that will host the winery and tasting room. Here are some pictures of the tasting area before and after painting.

The ugly before shot:

61413_10100101574855309_482477066_n.jpg

After the first coat of paint. That dark green took 3 coats.

205131_10100105019626959_1900563159_n.jpg

And here are some pictures after I finished cleaning up.

179535_10100108689891719_675664826_n.jpg

15977_10100108689627249_1483901217_n.jpg

10016_10100108689292919_662402256_n.jpg

And an obligatory sunset.

574542_998748024129_1208746615_n.jpg

Greg, very impressive.
I was looking at the soil test results, since reading test results is one of the free (yep, I said it, free) services that I provide my customers, I'm very interested in hearing how you amended the soils and how you balanced both vineyards.
How is the herbicide contamination issue going?
Thanks,
Tom

Greg the place is really coming along nice. Lauri says "Hi" by the way. I look forward to seeing the ever evolving results. It was really cool to see Grapeman all through his process of building and production with his winery.

Tom, I'm not going to do anything with the soil now. If anything I have to worry about the soil in the east vineyard being too fertile. I will plant grass between the rows to suck up some of the nitrogen. In the south vineyard I am not going to do anything until I see how the grapes are growing. These soil samples were 12" samples so the top soil and sub soil were mixed. I suspect there are more nutrients in the top 6" than what these numbers are telling me. Salt is low, so I'm happy about that. And I think the high pH won't be a problem for the hybrids I'm going to grow.

Dan, thanks. Please give my best to Lauri. I was hoping to run in to her at the AWS conference in Portland, but I didn't see her there. Grapeman is truly an inspiration and has provided me with invaluable insight. Thanks Rich!!

Hi Greg, I have a vineyard in se,MN.
Have you considered Louis Swenson, for a white grape. ES 10 -18-75 would grow up there. I have made some really nice wine from that. A French hybrid like Pinstripes might make it. They have all lived through -29 in my vineyard with no winter pertection. Let me know if you are interested, I could send you some cuttings.

Thanks
Dean McGuire

If you want to prune by Brianna in the spring you can have all you want! Lol

Thanks everyone. I am only going to have about 500 vines total on my property. I hope to source more grapes from other growers. I chose these 6 varietals because of the wines and styles I plan to make from my "estate" grapes. I am right on the edge of zone 3 so some varietals still may be difficult. La Crescent, for example, is a grape I really love but it has been spotty in terms of hardiness here. I'll buy La Crescent from other growers.

Dean, if you have some Pinard, I would love to test out a few vines. I don't know of anyone around here growing it. I'm always looking for something unique. I'd be pleased if you could send me a few cuttings.

Has anyone ever grown ES 5-4-71? I really love the wine this grape makes. Very floral reminiscent of Alsatian wines. Unfortunately this grape has some die off every year also.

I would think the Petite Amie would be hardy enough since even in a year with -22F there was 0 bud damage here. It is very floral and reminescent of the Muscat in its lineage. It is a bit slow to establish, but has wonderful looking clusters once it is grown up a bit.

Petite amie could be possible. I don't know of anyone growing it.

FYI - Fargo temp extremes in January and February can be pretty brutal. 60 degrees or more difference in temps in the same month.

For example, here are the max low and max high for January in Fargo for the last 20 years. We can swing from -35 to +35 in the same month. My vineyard is more exposed and a few degrees cooler than this.

Screen Shot 2012-12-17 at 5.07.04 PM.jpg

Looks really nice! Interesting the difference in growing conditions in our small State. In my little slice of South Central ND the LaCrescent is doing better then the Marquette.

Yes, I heard this last "mild" winter was tough on Marquette out there.

I really like La Cresent and will definitely be looking to purchase some grapes from other growers. If I get my licenses in place by summer I'll be looking for grapes to use next fall.

Back