WineXpert 1st Kit Worries - Please Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceboy

Junior
Reaction score
Decided on a WE Selection Pinot Nior for my 1st kit.

Primary Fermentation:
Went well I currently live in Pittsburgh and keeping my condo (have 3 - 16 ft windows) above 65 is an expensive task. I would say the wine was at63-65 temp for the whole process. Also, Primary took about 3-4 extra days. Also, I had the lid off my bucket while transferring from primary to secondary carboy.
Question 1 - did I oxidize my wine in the transfer?
Secondary Fermentation:
After transfer to 2nd carboy - fermentation slowed greatly. Also, went home for Xmas and left the carboy in about 60 degree temp as I turned down my heat as I left. Didn't even remember my batch of wine or I would have left it up. Upon return - no more fermentation was taking placeand I verified my hydro levels. All of this was about 4-5 days ahead of the scheduled 10 days listed on the instructions.
Question 2 - Did the temp being so low ruin this batch? I have always had it at a lower temp than directed in the instrustions.
Moved onto Stabilizing and Clearing - added my metabi, sorbate, and Chitosan. been sitting for a couple days this way. I did top off with a cheap store bought pinot nior

Question 3 - Seeing as this is my first kit - I'm not sure what this should taste like at this stage. I had a couple swigs the other day and im confuesed. When I think of young wine, I think or an overpowering alcohol taste. I can taste it a little but its really not there - seems really thin (I do realize its a pinot noir but still seems thin). Im hoping that my temp incident didn't ruin this batch or is it possible that the fermentation didnt happen correctly?

Welcome to the forum spaceboy.
Question 1 - you did not hurt your wine when you racked it, it was way
to short of a time to have any effect and I'll bet had a nice coat of
CO2 protecting it.
Question 2 - get yourself a brew belt http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5008 others will chime in on other suggestions on how to keep the must warm because it really needs to be between 70 & 75 for only for the yeast but also when you go to degass the wine. The instructions are basically a guide, sometimes fermentations go much faster and other times a bit slower so just remember the wine will tell you (by the SG)when its ready to move on to the next step.
Question 3 - New wine taste will variey a lot and lower temps will tend to bring out fruity flavors and aromas (really nice for whites). What was the SG when you stabilized the wine, that could make a difference as well especially if the wine was not dry.
Now comes the hard part ..... patience. Give your wine the time it needs to develop. Bottle it and get started on the next batch. If you like whites make one because they are ready much faster and will help this first one age since you'll be drinking it instead.
Oh by the way, you may as well go on and pick up another carboy - you'll need it soon.
VC

No, you did not oxidize your wine. Red wines are far less prone to oxidation, and kit wines are EVEN MORE resistant to oxidation, both red and white. You will be fine.

You will have to work with this batch quite a bit longer due to the colder temps, but you did not ruin it. Was your SG in the proper range? We need SG details.

On to the thin part:
Pinot Noir is supposed to be a lighter wine. That being said, you are going to have to wait about 12 to 18 months before you can judge this wine. WE kits take a long time to come around, but they do. At least it was a Selection Kit and not a Vintners Reserve. The VR kits are quite thin.

Since your temps are quite low, I would just leave the whole thing in the carboy, covered away from light, for about 4 months. I would then rack to a clean carboy (or primary then clean your current carboy and rack back) and let it sit for another 6 months, covered. Bottle after that, and wait 4 more months before actually drinking it.

vcasey said:
What was the SG when you stabilized the wine, that could make a difference as well especially if the wine was not dry.

Thanks.... glad I found this forum.... been looking/reading - lots of great advice!

The SG, at all points of the process, were at the recommended levels in the instructions.
guess i was just looking for some guidance/reassurance as I'm not a very confident wine maker(but I am a confident drinker!). I will move forward with it and see what happens.
Dean - thanks for the advice..... Also - if bulk aged for a little bit, what type of bung should be used? Keep the one with the airlock on or switch to a different/solid one? I might do this for a couple months but i may be tempted to "taste" it too often.

Good suggestion on the second carboy.... Although this is my 1st kit, I do see how I will need an extra (or even 2-3).

Bung & airlock like you have now is what I use. I bulk age to keep the wine safe from drinking (testing) and giving away, my husband likes to share all the new wines and I learned fast waiting for the wine to age is best. He makes beer - need I say more! Carboys multiply at lot, and they like to be full, an empty carboy is sad. So buy lots and keep them full and happy!
VC

Yep, I use a bung and airlock so the wine can gradually out-gas if there is any CO2 left in it.

Latest posts

Back