Post your labels here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call it a blind taste test and put them in paper bags.

Paper bags would make it a mystery and everyone likes a mystery so that's a good label. You could also put it in a paper bag and say your a wino and that's a good story. Either way i like the paper bag theory.

In a presentation I give on packaging and design, there's 2 studies I reference that really show how much an impact the visual part has. One study gave people a glass of white wine and a glass of red wine, and told them to describe them. Most described the white as crisp and fruity and the red as rich with fuller mouthfeel. It was the same white wine, just colored red. Another study gave people different colored drinks and asked them what they were; most everyone attributed incorrect preconceived flavors. So the cherry-flavored drink that was manipulated to be orange in color was thought to taste like an orange drink, and a cherry drink manipulated to be green in color was thought to taste like lime. What you see directly affects what you taste.

Will a bottle of wine with masking tape instead of a label dramatically affect the enjoyment? Maybe not; it could just be a nuanced difference. But it's certainly establishing an expectation. I own a label company, and even I don't label all my wines with decorative labels; but if that wine is being shared with others? Hell yes it gets a decorative label, because I know that the presentation will prime the experience and they will enjoy the wine more.

Great! I am moments away from leaving to a friend's house for dinner, packing two bottles of wine marked with masking tape!

Masking tape has its perks. Like going to a BYOB and the waiter or other people notice and ask. And next thing you know your in a conversation about winemaking with people who are interested and relate. Most wine people LOVE tasting homemade.
One of these days I'll make a label. I haven't ever even researched what's involved yet. But I did just put together the image and text I plan on using for DB I'm giving out. (Stolen from an older label posted)

IMG_5782.JPG

Here is the label I just created for the Cab that is just finishing. Somewhat referencing the political climate while this cab was ageing. :h
Critiques are welcome and appreciated!
Very engaging artwork; moody and dark. If that's what you're trying to communicate, then you've done an excellent job. I would expect this to be a serious wine. :h The only recommendation I have for the design is to maybe consolidate the text a little; it's a bit scattered about, and creates a bit of a frame of text on all sides. It also creates a little confusion as far as visual hierarchy... good design purposefully dictates the order in which people look at things. If I were designing this, I'd move the unknown (very cool typography work there as well) higher into the dark space, and move all the other text into the lower right corner. That would create a visual flow from top right to bottom left.

Making my Cherry wine labels, thoughts?

Varis, I'd have to see them on a bottle but I'm thinking that maybe a bit larger label, (6 instead of 8 to a page), might give the bottle a nicer appearance. But now I'm thinking I remember you using gummed labels not cut out labels from inkjet paper so my suggestion becomes impractical.

I just checked out onlinelabels.com and they pretty much offer everything in terms of material to run through an inkjet.
I'm looking for a good recommendation for getting labels made. I have the image I'd like to use (a few posts up this thread) instead of adding text to a template many of these label companies require. Anyone have a site they use on the reg? Otherwise I'm just going to blindly choose a site and hope for the best.

I just checked out onlinelabels.com and they pretty much offer everything in terms of material to run through an inkjet.
I'm looking for a good recommendation for getting labels made. I have the image I'd like to use (a few posts up this thread) instead of adding text to a template many of these label companies require. Anyone have a site they use on the reg? Otherwise I'm just going to blindly choose a site and hope for the best.

Onlinelabels does have consistent quality and offers removable as well as permanent adhesive. We'd use them for special short run orders, and never had a problem with their stock (there may be slight registration errors with the die cutting once in a awhile, but less than 1mm off which is less than what most people would notice).

Ajmassa- we can print any size or shape you like, on many different materials, and offer design services as well if needed. Feel free to contact me through message or through our website for a quote.

View attachment 37357

I get my labels from onlinelabels.com and was doing this using a blank template in Word. I tried the maestro software they offer for free to do these tonight. I bought a used color laser printer for the house. Not bad.

Love those labels. Very clean and elegant. I got "Purple Rain" and "Sister Goldenhair", but what's the first one?

Back