Petit Sirah from Lanza Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a glass of the Petit Sirah from a taster. Very tannic, with an almost sour finish at first. As it gets a little air, that sour fades a bit and the tannins soften (or maybe it's just that I'm three or four sips into this monster). Very dark and full bodied.

This seems to be 6 months away from bottling (at least) and another year or two from being ready to go.

Looking forward to sampling the 50/50 blend. The PS has massive structure and deep color, with fresh blueberries on the palate. Combine that with black fruit jam and pepper of a Zin in equal doses and it could be something very nice.

UPDATE:

Half a day later and I poured a second glass of the monster. Still tannic, but mellowed with more fruit and no real sour on the finish. Still marvel at how dark it is.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Half a day later and I poured a second glass of the monster. Still tannic, but mellowed with more fruit and no real sour on the finish. Still marvel at how dark it is.

Since I'm working on early stage Alzheimer's, I saw on the first post that you "dropped some tannins in" and remember at the time I was going to question it since that grape can be rather tannic in nature. So what tannins did you add and what quantity? Might hold off the wine being drinkable for a time, but will probably help it to age for quite some time (if you can be patient, which I know I'm not).

Since I'm working on early stage Alzheimer's, I saw on the first post that you "dropped some tannins in" and remember at the time I was going to question it since that grape can be rather tannic in nature. So what tannins did you add and what quantity? Might hold off the wine being drinkable for a time, but will probably help it to age for quite some time (if you can be patient, which I know I'm not).

I don't recall exactly. I think it was a sub for Opti-Red. Funny thing, I'm pretty sure I got it from you.

I think we crack that half n half this weekend and see if we want to mix up some more.

I racked the PS off the finer silt at the bottom of the carboy over the weekend. Getting antsy. Think this weekend should be good for tasting the blend.

The ap is acting snotty and won't let me post a pm. Craig, let me know what your schedule looks like.

Last edited:
I racked the PS off the finer silt at the bottom of the carboy over the weekend. Getting antsy. Think this weekend should be good for tasting the blend.

The ap is acting snotty and won't let me post a pm. Craig, let me know what your schedule looks like.

That makes more sense, I got three of the same PM from you within a minute or so of each other. I'll let you know as soon as the bee hive members of our house hold let me know if I will have my car for Saturday, otherwise it will have to be Sunday.

Edit: I'm thinking I could bring a couple of glasses of the Zin vacuvin'ed, that way we could taste the blend, then each of the components separately, and possibly make a small blend of a different percentage if we don't like the 50/50 blend. Your thoughts here or P.M.'ed.

Last edited:
Still a monster but in a good way. The Zin pH and TA should bump up the PS a bit, I think that is why it tasted so darn good. Amazed such a young powerful wine could be so drinkable. Still has enough gripping tannins to age for quite some time, if it lasts. Thanks again for Jim putting up with me all afternoon. His dogs are very entertaining, especially the one that dives into the pool on his command (need a video of that one, it's hilarious).

Almost forgot, the blend paired really well with Asiago cheese, was a perfect match.

And it has quite the set of legs!

Last edited:
Oh dear Lord,

What is this wine now like 9 months old........ ?????

Please leave it alone so it can age! :)

I didn't (couldn't) tip the carboy since it isn't blended yet! Plus the blend will be at Jim's house not mine, so I can't fiddle with it (by design).

I actually have three of my wines in the carboy for over a year, and a fourth will be two years in September, I'm at least going in the right direction as far as wine aging goes.

Lets see you guys got 3 whole lugs of PS grapes 9 months ago and made that into ~6 gallons of wine that your gonna split.

Its been 9 months and you have 22 pages of post in this wine thread which works out to about ~ 1 post per day!

Your gonna blend it with some Zin, Cab Franc, your sippin on it out by the pool...... :)

If even one bottle of this wine makes it to the two year mark (which is when this wine will actually first become remotely drinkable with lots of air) I will be surprised!

Pics of any of this wine making it to the two year mark or it never happened! LOL

It will be safe in my basement.

If even one bottle of this wine makes it to the two year mark (which is when this wine will actually first become remotely drinkable with lots of air) I will be surprised!

Pics of any of this wine making it to the two year mark or it never happened! LOL

You're on, bubba.

I'll blend 3 gal of PS and 3 gal of Zin soon. It will sit next to my remaining 3 gal of PS for the next 6 months. And age another 6-12 months in the bottle.

You're on, bubba.
I'll blend 3 gal of PS and 3 gal of Zin soon. It will sit next to my remaining 3 gal of PS for the next 6 months. And age another 6-12 months in the bottle.

I love to see a good challenge issued, and it's even better when there's a taker!!! If it was just @ceeaton, my money would definitely be on @ibglowin, but I'm sensing a very resolute bit of attitude and pride from @jgmann67, so I'm thinking it's even money either way! In either case, I hope the wine wins!!

FWIW, my PS from the same vintage and time frame is still in bulk in a 6 gallon carboy, hoping to get it into a neutral barrel soon for a 6 month sit with some Wine Stix. Plan to get it bottled by next spring.

Latest posts

Back