Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Other Topics > Food, Pairing & Craft Foods > What's for Dinner?

Old 06-19-2017, 12:10 AM   #4201
sour_grapes
Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Sep 2013
Liked 2917 Times on 1901 Posts
Likes Given: 3192

I have my sister-in-law and her husband (brother-in-law-ish) over, and we all went to the US Open. On this last night, we fired up the grill, but endeavoring to make the quickest meal we could because it was ~8:30 by the time we got home. I managed to crank out grilled asparagus (olive oil, garlic, coriander, fennel), grilled hearts of Romaine lettuce with a tarragon/lemon vinaigrette, and grass-fed rib-eye steak. The steak was scrumptious!

Reason: Toned down last night's drunken hyperbole!!!

Old 06-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #4202
ceeaton
In my terrible twos of wine making

Feb 2015
Liked 1952 Times on 1146 Posts
Likes Given: 2028

Love adding quick and easy dinners to the line-up. Tonight was a repeat from last week that went over well with everyone in the family (even the hot dog queen). Boneless chicken breasts, cut in half and pounded thin (until I felt better). Made a simple bbq sauce of vinegar/water/mustard/Worcestershire sauce/salt/pepper/small bit of ketchup/small amount of table sugar/lemon juice, heated to a boil and then turned it off. Served the finished chicken on potato rolls and served with veges and chips. Quick and easy, we were done by 5:30 pm, now several family members have dispersed throughout the county to leave me the clean up (just doesn't pay to be the cook). Hopefully after clean up I have enough energy to rack a few wines.
6-19-17_chicken-1.JPG   6-19-17_chicken-2.JPG  

People Like This 
Old 06-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #4203
Jericurl

Sep 2013
Liked 760 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 562

Pork Adobada

This is happening tonight! And I've got red cabbage slaw, tortillas, and feta cheese (seriously, feta on mexican food is AMAZING) is going to equal a great supper.
pork.jpg  

People Like This 
Old 06-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #4204
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mar 2012
Liked 4175 Times on 2515 Posts
Likes Given: 7033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericurl View Post
Pork Adobada

This is happening tonight! And I've got red cabbage slaw, tortillas, and feta cheese (seriously, feta on mexican food is AMAZING) is going to equal a great supper.
OMG! Recipes, please!

BROAD RUN CELLARS

Old 06-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #4205
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009
Liked 4084 Times on 2263 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Looks like dinner for...... tomorrow night then if its going in the slow cooker tonight! LOL

Sounds a like it might be Carne Adovada which is of course a staple in these parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericurl View Post
Pork Adobada

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

Old 06-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #4206
Jericurl

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibglowin View Post
Looks like dinner for...... tomorrow night then if its going in the slow cooker tonight! LOL

Sounds a like it might be Carne Adovada which is of course a staple in these parts.
yeah, different name but it's the same thing! We ate it last night. It went into the crockpot around 11 am.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #4207
Jericurl

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatboy24 View Post
OMG! Recipes, please!
Pork Adobada

Soak half a bag, or 5oz of NM red chile pods in hot water. When they have softened, pop the stems off them and put them in a blender or food processor and add enough water to cover the pods. Chop/puree until it is a thick paste. Add 2 garlic cloves and 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar. Puree again, adding a little water (or chicken stock) if needed. You want a paste but not super thick.

Cut a pork roast into .5-1 inch cubes. Try to remove most of the fat. Put into a casserole dish and combine with chile. DO NOT ADD WATER. Only use chile paste. Cook in oven at 250f for 3 hours or until it falls apart.
I chose to put ours into a crockpot since turning on the oven in 104 degree weather tends to heat up the whole house.
If you decide to go that route, you can eat as is when it comes out of the crockpot or treat it like carnitas by melting a little lard in a frying pan and "frying" your carne portion until the bits are somewhat crispy on the edges, then add to your taco, tortilla, etc.

For the red cabbage slaw, I really don't follow a recipe.
I cut the cabbage in half, then remove the hard white center.
Then I cut it diagonally so that I end up with very long, thin pieces of cabbage. Add a 1/2 of red onion, cut into thin stripes as well.
Add a pepper, minced small. Hot if you like it that way, but also good with a sweet pepper.
Add salt, paprika, and small amounts of chile powder and cumin.
Some also add a generous amount of cilantro, but since I can't stand the taste, I omit it.

Then add apple cider vinegar (about a 1/4 cup) or lime juice. Or do like me and add both.
Then add about the same amount or a little less of olive oil. Mix well. Taste, adjust if needed.
Put into a large ziplock bag and leave in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Serve on tacos, burritos, hamburgers, whatever.
Or you can treat it like coleslaw and just eat it as a side.

Some people add a teaspoon of sugar to the mix as well, but I skip that.

People Like This