Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@sour_grapes, Paul, I've only been to WI a couple of times but one of them was in October and Lori took me to visit and climb a tower/steeple at Holy Hill. The view from up there something I'd never experienced before, I can't imagine there being a more colorful part of the world to see in Fall. Love your pic. This is from the web for anyone not familiar with Holy Hill Basilica, it's just stunning.
Holy Hill.jpg

@sour_grapes, Paul, I've only been to WI a couple of times but one of them was in October and Lori took me to visit and climb a tower/steeple at Holy Hill. The view from up there something I'd never experienced before, I can't imagine there being a more colorful part of the world to see in Fall. Love your pic. This is from the web for anyone not familiar with Holy Hill Basilica, it's just stunning.
View attachment 66988

That is awesome, Mike! I love that picture, even if not yours.

I have never actually climbed the tower, and maybe never will. Too crowded during the correct season. For those of us who live here, we figure we can go some other year, but of course it is the same every year!

The day-hike I went on was just a few miles south of there. There is a long-distance hiking trail called the Ice Age Trail that wends its way along the edge of the last glaciation, from the eastern edge of Wisconsin on Green Bay, to the border with Minnesota. I'd like to through-hike it some year! It goes right past Holy Hill. This weekend, I chose to hike a segment just a few miles away from Holy Hill; "my" segment is fairly remote from easy access points, so we can avoid crowds. Worked fairly well.

Last edited:
This is the bridge that spans the Columbia River between Washington and Oregon near Astoria, Oregon. Funny thing about this picture that I took in 2018... There is an industrial area near the river that had signs hanging on the fence indicating "no trespassing" and "warning". Seeking a unique angle of the bridge and seeing the gate open, I took my opportunity. I set up my tripod, took the image and was out in 90 seconds. The security guard tried stopping me as I exited the gated and fenced area. My wife was ticked to say the least. But, when she saw the image I had captured, all was forgiven. This is by far my favorite image of Astoria-Megler Bridge.

Astor Bridge Large.jpeg

"understructure" looks like a big metal floor Truss.... I'd call it a .... wait for it..... "Trussel Bridge"
Absolutely Cool Photo

Trusses Bridge, not something I remember them saying back those many years ago, when I took Engineering Classes. I did take one or two General Engineering classes, even though I was an Electrical Student. And just as a side note, there is no such thing as a civil engineer, I never meet one, we are all somewhat uncivil.

Last night was the first time I actually took my new camera outside to shoot some exposures in prep for the upcoming Orionids Meteor shower peak on Tuesday morning. I ended up at a really high ISO of 6400 but just f22 for 5 sec. Stacked 10 exposures, processed and here's my first Constellation shot, Cassiopeia in the middle lower right side of the Milky way. Shot looking straight up from my driveway with the neighbors lights shining, planning on going out into the desert on tuesday.
Cassiopeia.jpg

Two quick observations and thoughts, Kraffty:
1. You must live in a very dark area. There is no light pollution apparent in the shot and that sky is so clear. and
2. You say each exposure was 5 seconds... there are no obvious tracking lines
. Those star images are sharp as tacks.
An incredibly beautiful image of the night sky. What lens did you use? And that ISO is that on film or is that a digital equivalent?

Great pic, Mike. Ya know, the more I think about it, winemaking and photography aren't that different. In one, you're trying to find beauty within a balance of sugar, acid and alcohol. In the other, you have to balance ISO, aperture and shutter speed. In both, there are no perfect 'formulas'; only different artistic interpretations of what 'works', given the conditions.

Latest posts

Back