WineXpert Kit Quality

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Port

Reaction score
I am starting to look for my next kit wine. I have made a couple of the Vintners Reserve’s and have been happy with the results. I am wondering if anyone has made any of the more expensive “Selection” series and noticed an increase in quality…. I guess what I am asking is: Do you think it’s worth the extra $30-$70 to go with the better kits? <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

BigPort,

Remember that $30 translates into $1 per bottle. I used
the WE Selection for a Murray River Reserve which was excellent, a
Sangiovese which is by far my favorite, and a Barolo, a little sweeter for
me but as it ages develops some incredible complexity. All three were
well worth the money.

I have also used VR on a Pinot Grigio and on a Chianti. The Chianti was
disappointing because it was too thin, but that was my first wine and I
topped up with water instead of wine; probably my fault.The Pinot
Grigio was good, just like store bought only better. I have a Chilean
Malbec and another Chianti waiting in the wings (I have both carboys full
right now with another Pinot Grigio and a cranberry apple.)

As I see it, taking the Sangiovese as an example, that's $85 by the time
shipping is included which works out at $2.83 a bottle, I factor 50 cents a
bottle to recover equipment and supplies. Bottles are free thanks to all
my friends and recyclable anyway and I don't count my time because it's
fun. so for a little over $3.30 I get a bottle of wine that

a) I want
b) I enjoy
c) is way better than a $15 bottle from the store
d) I am proud of because I MADE IT
smiley4.gif

Is it worth it: Yes. Is the increase in quality noticeable: Yes.Edited by: peterCooper

I am making a Selection Estate Pinot right now and the next one will probably be one of the VR wines. The biggest problem I see in comparing the two kits is time. According to WE, the VR whites are ready to drink in 1 month and peak in a year and the reds are ready in 2 months and peak in a year. In contrast, the Selection Estate series whites are ready to drink in 2-4 months and peak in 2-3 years and the reds are ready in 6-9 months and peak in 3-5 years. Theothertwo Selection series are slotted in betweenbut closer in time to age to the Selection Estate than to the VR.This already looks like a quality difference with just the times to age the wine, though WE does say to add extra sulfite if you plan on aging longer than 6 months even though the wine won't be ready that soon according to there literature, no biggie.

The best advice I can give you though is to try one and see for yourself if it is worth the extra $1-$2 a bottle. Only you can decide for sure if it is worth it to YOU. When I was looking at starting this hobby, I didn't pay attention to the cost of the kit but the cost per bottle, better to compare it to store bought wines in that price class. If the extra dollar or two per bottle seems too much, don't use new bottles, that will make up for the cost difference itself.

Sorry I couldn't help ya more, when I have the 2 side by side in a few months I'll chime back in with my opinion though.

Steve

You guys helped out tremendously! I had kind of gotten away from the per bottle cost and was just looking at the up front cost. It sure does make sense when you break it down. Thanks for the input!!

Brandst said:
The best advice I can give you though is to try one and see for yourself if it is worth the extra $1-$2 a bottle. Only you can decide for sure if it is worth it to YOU. When I was looking at starting this hobby, I didn't pay attention to the cost of the kit but the cost per bottle, better to compare it to store bought wines in that price class. If the extra dollar or two per bottle seems too much, don't use new bottles, that will make up for the cost difference itself.

That really is the best advice. Some people who say that the Selections Luna Rossa is the best red wine kit that they make. But I know some who like the VR Mezza Luna Redmore than the Luna Rossa. So it really comes down to you preference. If you like the VR better (or equally to the Selections), you can save some $$ by making the VR.

Big Port,

As a newbie, I learned a lot from your question and all the answers. I really like thinking about the cost by the bottle, I wouldn't even blink an eye at paying a buck or two more for a bottle of good wine. I'm still on my first kit, but I know I will go quality for my next kit after reading this. Thanks.

Hey BMW you will be suprised at the buck bottles I have friends that know the expensive stuff and have have compared mine to a 10 bottle of wine. And they must like it because the bottles always come back empty as well as a few 85's and 70'svintage bottles that is.PS they clean up great and are refillable.

Big Port, I won't be able to compare the VR series to the higher series yet. I went with the SO Johannisberg Reisling for my next kit, should be here sometime next week. I'll get it started as soon as I rack the Pinot the second time. After the Reisling gets racked to the 'boy I'll be starting my first scratch wine. I'll try a VR series sometime this year though and let you know what my thoughts are. Probably work out to be ready to drink around the same time as the Pinot since it needs to age a bit anyway.

Steve

OldWino,

I have great friends, they have already brought me more bottles than I have wine for. The only thing I can think to do is get another batch of wine started.
smiley36.gif
I just haven't decided yet which kit I want to try. Probably something white, the one I have going now is red (Selection Merlot).

Hey its nice to have 2 6 gal carboys. keep them going a red and white one. always nice to have a balance. besides alittle white before and during cooking dinner and red with it. I see from montana you probably do red meat.

We do eat a lot of red meat, beef, elk, deer, and moose, my guys all like to hunt. But, I think a white wine is in order here, then I want to try my hand at some wines from scratch.

Old wino,

Then you get to realize you need three carboys, one for the red, one for the
white and one for the fruit wine that you decided you would bulk age for 6
months.
smiley1.gif

You are BOTH scaring me! I've got the Bourg Rouge ready to degas today (after my junior partner gets in from skiing at Snowbowl all day!!) and the Pinot Noir into the secondary -- my second carboy...and was thinking "...hmmm, a nice whitewould be nice...but I need another carboy...." Where does it stop!!
smiley36.gif

BMW -- had venison chili for lunch (made from said partner's muley) and it goes with red or white...or a good Moose Drool* too!

*GREAT local beer

Latest posts

Back