Bentonite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
Is bentonite as good of a clearing agent as any of the rest?
Is bentonite just for clearing a haze?

Thanks

Semper Fi

I use bentoite in the primary. I use other clearing agents after the wine is stabilized.

I've just tried it for the first time in the primary of skeeter pee. So, hopefully I'll be able to give some input on it in a week or so.

It seems to clear kits amazingly fast!!

Brian

Thanks for all the information. Tom, how does it help to clear the wine when used in the primary?

Thanks

Semper Fi

Bentonite is a very gentle fining agent. I use it primarily to prevent protein haze in primary and also to help drop out the heavier solids in primary as to not transfer them over to carboy. I dont use fining agents anymore other then that unless I have a stubborn wine that just wont clear after about 6-8 months but when thats the case my go to agent is SuperKleer KC. Along with Sparkaloid they are the fastest and most effective out there and Ive never noticed over the years any loss of flavor from using it. I have seen a little color loss though but that doesnt concern me too much as lots of times that color would have fallen out in the bottle and stained the inside of the bottles.

The way I understand it; when bentonite is used in the primary the activity of the fermentation keeps carrying the bentonite back to the top and as it settles back to the bottom it keeps working over and over. While if used after fermentation it settles out once and stays on the bottom.

You are right except that it keeps going up gathering each time until its gets too heavy and cant be suspended anymore or until fermentation slows down to the point where it isnt violent enough to bring it back to the top.

I have seen two distinct types of bentonite, one is a grey, sandy mixture that is very difficult to dissolve and usually turns to a muddy mess. The other is in a fine granular form, off white in color (normally comes in the Mosti Modiale kits) which dissolves readily and works very well. Does anyone know where I can buy a supply of the MM type?

Here's what I do;
get 2qt water almost a boil
put in blender
turn on LOW
slowly add the bentinite till thick
add to a mason jar
this will last a long time and will be very stiff
I add 3-4 tbls of this mixture to primary
Done...

Bentonite in primary help to take out proteins not just pectin. This also helps with clearing. I use it in mead because honey has protein I need to take out

Latest posts

Back