Oops...topped off with a semi-sweet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
So my wine that I started off at 1095 was racked yesterday. Its starting to clear, and it was at 996...exactly the same as two weeks ago. So, I topped it off with a red wine. Thing is, it was a semi sweet red, which I didn't realize until after the fact.

Are there any problems associated with this besides re-fermentation?

did you use kmeta and sorbate before you topped it off if so you sould be all right either way you should wait one to two weeks now before bottleing your wine

The additional sugar may kick off fermentation again, producing additional sediment. Jstar has it right, you should add k-meta to ensure that the fermentation does not fire off again (if you do not mind the extra sweetness.

If you prefer it dry, then I would do nothing. Just wait and see.

I added nothing but a single crushed campden. It is a 1 gallon batch.

I don't mind it sweetish, and its not really done settling I dont think, its still a bit cloudy. Its a lot clearer than it was two weeks ago though. I was a little worried about the taste because I took a swig of it and its pretty tasty....even if it is a little carbonated. :)

How much alcohol can Montrachet handle? If its at 13%, can they really handle much more than that?

Was the wine commercial? If so it was most likely stabilized. If you made it, was it? if so, no worries. If it turned out to sweet then, it is only a gallon batch and you can make another with less sweetness and blend it

Yeah, it was a commercial wine. It was a semi sweet wine I added, and I added about a cup's worth. Just enough to get it back to the bottom of the neck or so. Should actually be just about right for sweetness....or not sweet and a touch more alcohol. Either way, its OK.

Back