What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had read on here that someone really enjoyed North Dakota Chocolate Rhubarb wine and so I started a search for it. I love trying products from our own state because we often grow a lot of base products but do not get to finish them due to lack of people/resources. In town, I did find a small section of just ND wine. I could not find a bottle of ND chocolate rhubarb wine but did find ND chocolate raspberry wine and that was really good. But now I really wonder what a rhubarb wine is like.

Contact @GreginND . I think he makes one. Regular rhubarb, that is.

Last edited:
Contact @GreginND . I think he makes one. Regular rhubarb, that is.

Ok, According to his website he just has plum right now but I think he is getting ready to release some new ones. I don't get to Fargo often but my son got married and became a traitorous Minnesotan so I hope to wander that way more often and will most certainly check it out. Thank you!

Tonight is my last bottle of 2009 Le Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino.

Didn't take a picture, but this is the label.

IMG_1956_1024x1024.JPG

Ok, According to his website he just has plum right now but I think he is getting ready to release some new ones. I don't get to Fargo often but my son got married and became a traitorous Minnesotan so I hope to wander that way more often and will most certainly check it out. Thank you!

We are working hard getting our new releases bottled and labeled. We plan to open the last weekend of April with 13 or so different wines. Let me know whenever you swing through and I'll be happy to show you around.

Greg

I had read on here that someone really enjoyed North Dakota Chocolate Rhubarb wine and so I started a search for it. I love trying products from our own state because we often grow a lot of base products but do not get to finish them due to lack of people/resources. In town, I did find a small section of just ND wine. I could not find a bottle of ND chocolate rhubarb wine but did find ND chocolate raspberry wine and that was really good. But now I really wonder what a rhubarb wine is like.

I haven't heard of anyone doing a chocolate rhubarb, but Dakota Sun Gardens in Carrington makes a delicious Chocolate Raspberry wine.

http://www.dakotasungardenswinery.com/our-wines.html

Are you going to get more? Have any 2010?

No, I actually bought the 2009 bottles from a liquidation special for $38 each and the reviews were pretty good. I hadn't tried it before that. So I grabbed the last three bottles they had. I was pretty happy with it.

The only thing is, for being a 2009. It came out a bit rough straight from the bottle, but after letting it breath for a bit. It was quite good.

A big buttery Chard just the way my wife likes them! It has developed some lovely melon notes and a floral nose of all things over the last couple of years. The fruit on the palate is fading, still good, but tending to nice clean mineral it's. Nice with steamed cod and broccoli! Someday I should do so well. And, yes, it is an easy peel lable:h

IMG_4182.jpg

To go with dinner, which I intend to describe in its proper place, I opened a 2012 Vino Nobile do Montepulciano (Incanto). We went through that quickly enough to open the wine that my gracious guest brought with her, viz., a 2013 Bordeaux (Chateau La Graviere). Never heard of either of the specific labels, but they were tasty! :D

Interesting bottle tonight. 2014 Stanford Alumni Association Wine. Each year they have several wine that are basically fund raiser wines for the Alumni Association. This was an Xmas gift from a friend who is you guessed it a Stanford Alumni..... Only thing is....... The wine is actually a 2014 Waterford Winery Malbec from the Columbia Valley AVA in WA State! Guess they could find anything worthy up the road in Napa! LOL More than likely they couldn't find anyone to give them a decent price as these wines are usually 3 for ~$50 on the website. All in all a very nice wine. Not one for the ages but a very nice Malbec with nice smooth tannins and perfect oak. Go Cardinals!

IMG_2081.jpg

Interesting bottle tonight. 2014 Stanford Alumni Association Wine. Each year they have several wine that are basically fund raiser wines for the Alumni Association. This was an Xmas gift from a friend who is you guessed it a Stanford Alumni..... Only thing is....... The wine is actually a 2014 Waterford Winery Malbec from the Columbia Valley AVA in WA State! Guess they could find anything worthy up the road in Napa! LOL More than likely they couldn't find anyone to give them a decent price as these wines are usually 3 for ~$50 on the website. All in all a very nice wine. Not one for the ages but a very nice Malbec with nice smooth tannins and perfect oak. Go Cardinals!

Actually the alumni wine club was managed by my brother-in-law in Walla Walla. He manages several, weirdly mostly CA schools. So, he sourced the wines:f

He helped pick a pretty good one then. We got another bottle this year from the same person for Xmas. IIRC it is a Pinot Noir that was actually from CA!

Actually the alumni wine club was managed by my brother-in-law in Walla Walla. He manages several, weirdly mostly CA schools. So, he sourced the wines:f

Last night I opened my last bottle of WE Eclipse Riesling.
For me, it is not a WOW Riesling wine, just ok. I bet the CC Riesling I just made recently would be much better.

Today is going to be good!

Last night we had a bottle of Educated Guess cab but I forgot to snap a picture before removing the label for my batch in progress. I'm turning into a bottle savage haha. Today we have a 2005 Altamura cab 14.2%, a 2002 Duckhorn merlot 14.5%, and a 2013 Cade cab 15.5%. We have Cabot extra sharp cheddar, smoked cheddar, prosciutto, and olives to go with them.

2017-04-01 14.13.30.jpg

2017-04-01 14.14.22.jpg

2017-04-01 14.14.59.jpg

Last night we had a bottle of Educated Guess cab but I forgot to snap a picture before removing the label for my batch in progress. I'm turning into a bottle savage haha. Today we have a 2005 Altamura cab 14.2%, a 2002 Duckhorn merlot 14.5%, and a 2013 Cade cab 15.5%. We have Cabot extra sharp cheddar, smoked cheddar, prosciutto, and olives to go with them.

Mmmmm, that Cade is a stud, had it quite a few times, enjoy!!!

Add a William Hill Bench Blend 14.8% to the list. Robert Parker is missing out. This is a who's who of the best wines. Dad sure is enjoying his 60th birthday and so am I!

Snuck some 2016 Syrah from the barrel and 2016 Grenache / Mourvèdre from the Spiedel. Grenache really benefited from some Syrah. Some Grenache helped tame down some of the oak in the Syrah. Good flavors, but still tasting young, which I guess should be expected. No off smells or tastes. The fruit was the best we we've ever gotten.

Blending plan.

Last edited:
Went for a walk with two lovely ladies this afternoon, and we had my first bottle of a now 2-year-old WE Selection International Australian Petit Verdot. It is a solid offering. It was a bit tart/sour upon opening, but that largely faded. Still not exactly commercial quality, but okay.

I am soon going to open my first bottle of a now 2-year-old CC Showcase Amarone. Bring it!

Back