Looks Like I'm Making Some Guava Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I've always wanted to try a guava wine, but guava juice can get pricey. Well, today I got lucky at the grocery store (not like that!). I ended up grabbing 10 containers of guava nectar for 99cents a piece. That should net me about 2.5 gallons, and I added a gallon of organic white grape juice. Not certain where I'll go from here, but I'm thinking I'll aim for SG of 1.090 and a pH of somewhere around 3.3 pH. I will probably go with a very slightly off dry finish, though this may end up being better a little sweeter. Time will tell. Either way, I'll have invested about 20 bucks to get 3 gallons of wine.

IMG_5149.jpg

I made it from fresh guavas once and it was one of the best wines I've ever made.

A can or two of Welches frozen white grape concentrate would make the recipe complete. Then you could send some samples to @JohnT for his opinion. I'm sure it would make a great photo-op in a few months, though that shirt he's getting might be getting a little tired from all the usage he'll be giving it.

FYI, I've used 71B-1112 with great results, especially if you back sweeten it before bottling.

Last edited:
I made it from fresh guavas once and it was one of the best wines I've ever made.

Any notes on what your pH/TA was? Did you back sweeten? I'm assuming this will need a little sweetness to help the fruit really shine.

Any notes on what your pH/TA was? Did you back sweeten? I'm assuming this will need a little sweetness to help the fruit really shine.

This was, believe it or not, my second ever batch of wine. I think mostly I just got lucky, really. Recipe.

OG 1.090, finished at 0.994. I did not have a pH meter at that time, but the wine used a generous amount of acid, 14g straight citric. I backsweetened with 50g/gal sugar.

I should also note that this was made with a blend of regular, strawberry, and lemon guavas, and I did boil the fruit. Later I made a 3 gallon batch with straight strawberry guava which did not turn out as well, but that is a story for a different post.

Latest posts

Back