Wine Kitz Wicked Hard Lime

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanyalc

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a question about the Wicked Hard Lime kit I am making. The Kit instructions say...

Day 1 - Leave ferment for 14 days.
Day 14 - Check the SG it should be approximately 0.995 or less.

April 28th = Day 1
May 5th = Day 7 - because I was bottling a kit and racking another kit that I had on the go, I decided to take a reading and the S/G was @ 0.995.

My local WineKitz was closed so I waited until today to call them and the person I was speaking to said to leave it for the full 14 days, but I am not sure.

I have found that ignoring the dates and following my readings have worked in the past, but I haven't made this kit before. I usually make the Argentia Ridge Kits (Merlot, Chardonnay, and Cabernet Sauvignon)

So, should I move on the the next stage (Stabilizing)?

The sentiment has changed recently to going ahead and letting the wine stay in secondary the full recommended time. This is because while the wine is setting on the yeast and other lite lees, some "magic" is taking place; special flavors and other nuances are forming, which will be missing if not allowed to develop during secondary.

It is Tim V. of Wine maker Magazine who recommends this. I agree with this new approach.

If this is Wine Kitz I would recommend leaving in primary the full 14 days. If you notice this kit doesn't have a secondary fermentation in a carboy, most of the time you rack at day 7 you still give the wine another week or 2 to finish secondary fermentation. So I think stabilizing at 7 days even if the SG reading is low would be a mistake.

EdwardLongshanks said:
So I think stabilizing at 7 days even if the SG reading is low would be a mistake.

Thanks. I am going to wait. I might just be to impatient for this hobby! :)

Latest posts

Back