WineXpert California Sauvignon Blanc Rosé

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First post here. Have been stalking for a few months - first kit completed in March. 2 others in process. Finding this hobby to be highly addictive. Broke down and ordered the kit this weekend thanks to all of you jokers :h. Wife and I like it dry so will add the f-pack up front.

For those of you who added additional sugar to increase SG - what type of sugar and how much? Is it best to make a syrup or can I add it straight?

I must have added more of the fpac up front than I thought I was doing at the time. When I added the remainder it only bumped the gravity from 0.991 to 0.996. Just a hint of sweetness. I like it, but I think my wife would have preferred a little sweeter after I had been describing it that way to her. Is there any way to make it a bit sweeter without disturbing the overall flavor or should I just leave it be? If possible, I might split the batch and have some of each.

Moving forward I'll start weighing my fpacs when I plan to split them.

Add some simple syrup till you get ut to where you want it. Just make sure you have added the Sorbate package.

Is there any way to make it a bit sweeter without disturbing the overall flavor or should I just leave it be? If possible, I might split the batch and have some of each.

Moving forward I'll start weighing my fpacs when I plan to split them.

Sounds easy enough. I bought some syringes a while bit I can put to good use. I'll leave half as-is and sweeten the other half a little more. I added the sorbate a day before the remainder of the fpac, so I'm good to go on that front.

I appreciate the quick response!

Happy 4th of July weekend folks! Just wanted to post an update on my kit. I added the entire f-pac up front and capitulated. SG was 1.090. Followed steps in kit, fermented to 0.994, cleared, degassed, etc. Tasted the wine at that point and was a little too dry, didn't taste balanced. Ended up adding sorbate and back-sweetened with 1/2 cup simple syrup. Now it tastes just right. If I could do this kit again, would have gone with 1/2 f-pac up front and 1/2 at end, as most other folks did. Also, didn't have time to source a good yeast alternative to ec-1118.

That being said, I'm learning a lot and having fun. Thanks to all vitners on this site who have inspired me to not be afraid to adjust the kits to my liking. End product will be a wine that we enjoy thanks to the minor tweaking.

If anyone is looking for another kit, Homebrew Supply has some that they just listed for $99.99 and use the "TAKE40" coupon. Comes out right at $60 before shipping. I just ordered 2 more.

Latest posts

Back