WineXpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@sour_grapes: At clearing time, the wine was already showing some oak - presumably from the chips in primary. I'm not expecting much, if any oak from the barrel; but yes, I was playing it a little safe. And I'm not used to Merlots showing a lot of oak.

@sour_grapes: At clearing time, the wine was already showing some oak - presumably from the chips in primary. I'm not expecting much, if any oak from the barrel; but yes, I was playing it a little safe. And I'm not used to Merlots showing a lot of oak.

Good thinking. Wish I had thought of that!

I peaked at it this morning and the yeast is already building up a nice head of steam. Going to stir it and mash the sock o' grape skins when I get home tonight.

My primary temp was 72* F; and the OG after stirring in the oak and skins was 1.097. Fermenting down to 0.992 means an ABV slightly north of 14%. I'm happy with that.ImageUploadedByWine Making1430586306.736911.jpg

Last edited:
I just bottled mine yesterday after 1 1/2 yrs of bulk aging.
I'm very happy with the results, though I think it could still use some more age to be its best.

About 6 months into aging it developed an awfully strong banana flavor and at times a rubbery smell, I thought it was ruined.
But all of that went away at about the one year mark.
This was my first "good" kit and it really taught me how a wine can change throughout the aging process.

Last edited:
Almost there. SG - 0.998; temp steady. Still some action going on. The daily squeeze creates quite a bit o' fizz. This weekend will likely include a moving day for the Merlot.

Spring is here and my wine room temps are inching up a little. In the winter, it's about 54-58* F with the door closed. This morning, after it's been warm for a couple weeks, it's around 63-64* with the door open. If I reverse it and have it door open in winter, door closed in the summer, it will stay in the lower 60's I think.

I found a fleshy merlot called Niner. Big wine. At the state store on special for $15. Will likely use it to top off. If mine is as good as this little gem, I'm going to be happy beyond description.

Last edited:
This morning's stir: SG 0.994.

Here's my question with this one: I will rack this to a carboy this weekend and let it be for about 10 days while it finishes fermentation and settles. Then rack to another carboy, add Kmeta, chitosan and stir the ever-lovin' CO2 out of it.

* Would you add the oak cubes(per the instructions) or wait for the next racking?

* And, if you add the oak with all the other fun stuff, would you leave it settle for a couple months AND THEN do the next racking?

What I did was hold off on the oak cube addition until after the stabilize/clearing time, the 10 day period you speak of... I then racked adding the oak where it is currently sitting for 6 weeks or so. I'll then after that period, rack removing the oak, add some SO2 and let it continue bulk aging about three months before another rack and SO2 addition...

* Would you add the oak cubes(per the instructions) or wait for the next racking?

* And, if you add the oak with all the other fun stuff, would you leave it settle for a couple months AND THEN do the next racking?
I put it all in when stabilizing as per the instructions. In fact, I just did that yesterday with my Stag's Leap Merlot. At the end of 8 or 10 days, I rack it off the sediment, re-sanitize the cubes and put them back in the carboy for the 28 day period.

I usually give the wine about two weeks after adding clarifiers. Then I rack, add the cubes and top up. At that point, I can let the wine sit for a few months before racking off the cubes.

I usually give the wine about two weeks after adding clarifiers. Then I rack, add the cubes and top up. At that point, I can let the wine sit for a few months before racking off the cubes.

This sounds like the way I plan to go (let it sit 10 days; rack, add kmeta and clarifiers, let it sit a couple weeks; rack and add oak, let sit for 3 months) One additional question (and I'm pretty sure I know the answer): let's suppose I rack after a few months on the oak cubes and am about to bottle. I should dose with kmeta again before bottling, yes?

I do about the same, but usually go three weeks, minus the clarifiers. Then rack, add the cubes, and top up.

Three days later and there are a ton of lees at the bottom of the carboy. Going to move it next Sunday night, degas and add clarifier and Kmeta. Oak cubes definitely going in after that (3 packets of American cubes) and sitting for at least a couple months.

Yup...I has TONS of lees also... Was curious as to your experience thank you! Mine racked into a 5 gal carboy where it now sits with oak for a few months... Looking forward to the final product... Patience:)

Latest posts

Back