Baco Noir and Seyval Blanc in Utah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost planted some Norton. This is really good wine! A little high in acid. Guess I should get to that, my Baco's are suppose to be as well.

image-1742840593.jpg

Weeding, hoeing and irrigating all week. Hot and dry. Then I wake up this morning to rain. Over half an inch last night, and still raining.
Vines are getting long enough now I can pinch off some of the clusters. Still don't know if I should throw down some nitrogen.

Send some our way! Did you amend your soil with any organic matter? I have been using Miracle Gro Bloom Buster. Low nitrogen but high phosphorus which promotes growth. Nitrogen makes things green so grape vines don't need all that much nitrogen normally.

I just figured out how to get my soil samples done. Vines are growing fine. Seyval Blanc is so feminine, compared to my Bacos.

image-353899169.jpg

It's nice to see vines and not weeds, but damn this is a lot of work!

Need to post an update. I have all my end posts in. I now can run my bottom wire so I can stake my vines. They are getting tall, and it needs to be done. We have had plenty of rain and the post holes I dug were plenty muddy.
I've been working in some compost and a simple 5-6-6 fertilizer.

image-1964431855.jpg

For VSP cut it just below the wire leaving a leaf near the cut. This will send a shoot growing both directions to form the future cordons.

I am so glad I found this group. I would just be guessing.
So how far do I let the buds grow? Do I let all the laterals grow on the trunk?

image-515807997.jpg ran some wire today

image-3089490120.jpg

All three wires are up on the sixth row.

image-935224900.jpg

Had to come up with a way to spool the cable. The friction brake worked well!

Attachments

• image-805948627.jpg
    image-805948627.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 115
Crazy rain we have all been having. Don't know for sure, but maybe this is a good year to start a vineyard.

image-3891387520.jpg

This the pile of laterals I removed from my vineyard today. I didn't want to remove them, but I couldn't till between the rows anymore. I haven't watered in three weeks, and they call this a desert state.

Looking good. We have not had anywhere as much as you here at the house but its all around us each day it seems. Moisture is always welcome in the desert southwest!

I was going to rip these Pinot Gris vines out this fall if they did not do well this year. This is there third year and guess there going to stay. There doing well!

image-3300924965.jpg

Latest posts

Back