Baco Noir and Seyval Blanc in Utah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump....

MGmarty - how is it going this year? I'm in SLC near the mouth of parleys canyon. Year 3. I have Tempranillo and Malbecs. The Malbecs seem to be doing better. Having powdery mildew issues on the Tempranillo. I found this thread searching for Baco Noir info. I am looking to add some more vines and am wondering about varieties. Any additional insights on your setup?

Grapes are doing well. I’ve had a real tough time with people spraying herbicide that wilts my vines. I have planted a few more whites, Prairie Star and Chardenelle, all seem to be doing well. If you plant vinifera you will have to spray. Downy mildew is terrible on the one Chardonnay vine I have.
That all being said, I have been renting my home and vineyard out the past three years, I have moved to California to finish my career as an air traffic controller. I will be back in two years.

I went back and forth on whether to go vinifera or hybrid. The Baco Noir was on my short list. Did Tempranillo because I like cheap spanish wine and it sounded like it was a shorter season grape. The Malbec was chosen since I think our climate is similar to Argentina's wine region and I have a warm microclimate along a retaining wall. I thought the Malbec was the risky choice. I saw something that made me think the Baco Noir wouldn't tolerate the heat we get. Glad to hear yours worked out. I have room for about 10 more vines and may plant the Baco Noir next year. The Malbecs are doing great, as I said the Tempranillo has some powdery mildew - not too bad considering I wasn't trying to control it. I'll have to plan on controlling it earlier next year. I think I have the mildew under control for now.

Hopefully you don't miss Utah much - I'm pondering a few out of state projects before I retire - do you fly back occasionally and take care of your vines or do you have someone else take care of them? I'd be disappointed to leave, rent the house, and come back to dead vines in a couple of years.

Glad to hear your vines like Utah. Baco Noir grows like crazy. I planted them because of the clay soil I have. I hedge them and they make good red wine. Yes I fly back in spring and do the pruning. They are well established but I wish they could get better care. Of course no one loves them like I do.

So I'm about to retire and take over my vineyard in Utah again. Baco has suffered terribly in my absence. My intention is to rip them up and replace them. My daughter is now involved and we have had some lengthy discussions as to what variety to replace them with. I believe we will add another row as well to the back of the property. The varieties under consideration are, Cab Franc, Marechal Foch, Grenache and Pinot Noir. I may just plant a row of each and see how things go.
Now the whites are another story. I made a quick white wine with a field blend this year. I would say, 75% Seyval, 20% Chardonelle and 5% Prairie Star. So far the wine is stunning! It's hard as hell to stay out of it, leave some to bottle! I won't be making any changes there and look forward to pruning and managing them for a better harvest next year.

I'm still working in California, (I rent in Livermore), and commute from my home in Utah. I spend a ton of time in Lodi with the fantastic Zins that region produces. I will be trying to source some grapes this spring/summer before I retire to take to Utah. I have noticed a couple people on here from the area and I will try and speak to a few of you.

There also are a few start up wineries in the Salt Lake Valley. I will be speaking with one of them about the crazy taxes and laws Utah has for boutique wineries. I'm still thinking about a commercial winery. Might be fun in retirement, as long as it didn't turn into a job.

Cheers my friends, Its good to be back. Happy New Year!
Marty.

Bacos are gone. I planted 12 Foch, 12 Cab Franc, and 12 Pinot Noir n there place.
Very difficult to rip out vines you planted. But, crown gall was eliminating them at a rapid rate.A0A162AA-7974-4F35-B8C3-BDE2352B173C.jpegimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back