Endless Summer Winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Midwest Vintner for this post, Ive been thinking about doing a winery for sometime and I've contacted my state office ( got all the paperwork) and the Fed govt stuff.

Hope all goes well for you!

Thanks again for the great info.

TJBryner

No problem. I hope you get through it unscathed and have FUN! :r Please keep us updated.

The key things that can really bite you.
-Zoning
-Sewer
-Water
-Plumbing
-Electrical

All of those must be separate and basically restaurant style. You will have to change things if they are not! Also, beware false info. We got bad info on numerous occasions. The TTB and ATF were very straight forward (gotta have a clean record though). Make sure you have anything said to you, in writing from ANY official. Double check everything and you should be good to go. Oh, and plan to spend much more than you anticipated.

The way to make a small fortune in the wine business is to start with a large one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I'm not doing this to get rich. I have put over 4 years up to this point researching, looking for loans and working 2 jobs. It's not easy, but if we even do OK, then I'll be more than happy! :b

Thanks for the Key issues, I'm lucky I think??? I have someone that owns a winery close to hear (20 Miles away) and he's been very helpful with information. So far my big issue is I'm in a dry township, It'll go up for a vote this fall . Hoping for the best!!

But I'm still going to buy the equipment as if everything is good to go that way I'm head off the game, I can always look at a new location!

Also How many Gallons are you planning on doing the 1st year?

TJBryner

Thanks for the Key issues, I'm lucky I think??? I have someone that owns a winery close to hear (20 Miles away) and he's been very helpful with information. So far my big issue is I'm in a dry township, It'll go up for a vote this fall . Hoping for the best!!

But I'm still going to buy the equipment as if everything is good to go that way I'm head off the game, I can always look at a new location!

Also How many Gallons are you planning on doing the 1st year?

TJBryner

Well, It's good you are getting first hand knowledge in your area because it can be different because of state laws. I would be looking at new locations now, if you have time, in order to be ready for both situations. I hope you have a good place to store the equipment because it can take 4-6 months or so to just get the licensing through. It's nice that we were able to build what we wanted, but it's more expensive. If you could buy a winery already built and ready to go, then that would streamline the whole process.

We are going to make in the ball park of 2,500 gal or maybe more the first year. We do not plan on selling it all, but it's better after 2 years anyhow. :b We started with about 1700 gallons, but will make more and bottle it (hopefully) before next summer.

Good luck!!!!!!

I know you are probably busy being that you just opened, but I have a $ question for ya.
How much not counting land purchase have you invested in getting things started?
Even including the oops I forgot about that and had to add it things.

Well here's the update.
Every thing was set to go in motion this week, However my township is dry...(No bars, clubs, winery, ETC) I have to wait till the spring of 2013 for a primary election to do a referendum and have the public vote on it.

So for now my options are
1. put every thing on hold
2. Look for another location
3. get the state LLC setup, federal license, and my bound then wait till 2013 and see if it is approved.

If I go with option 3. and it does not go thought I can do an addendum to my Federal license for a new location with only a few headaches. More then likely as it stands I'm doing option 2 and 3.

I will say that this thread has been VERY helpful and again Many thanks!

You might find it even more useful if you start your own thread rather than adding it onto Midwest Vintners. People could find it easier that way and probably you could also. You probably would find it beneficial in the future to move it to a town where it is allowed. It is hard doing business where it is not wanted.

I have a question on waste. what requirements are there on disposing of waste water/chemicals and grape waste?

I don't believe there would be any. Most chemicals are pretty well diluted down by the time we send them down the drain.

On a commercial operation if you are near a stream I would think you would have to have everything drain to a holding tank and then hauled away. Grape skins are spread back into the vineyard.

I don't believe there would be any. Most chemicals are pretty well diluted down by the time we send them down the drain.

On a commercial operation if you are near a stream I would think you would have to have everything drain to a holding tank and then hauled away. Grape skins are spread back into the vineyard.

The water is considered somewhat hazardous. You have to have an advanced septic system or be connected to city waste. We have found out that the first health dept guy approved a holding tank, but then he quit and the next person was "in training" with a state environmentalist guy whom said a holding tank isn't right. We were lucky ours was approved as it was already in! You can compost your waste. Otherwise, *I think*, you need a permit to have it picked up and dumped.

We do have a river on our property. So, keeping ANY wine/waste away from it is mandatory and a priority. This is why we wanted the holding tank, but for some reason the new health dept person (with the environmental guy) would not allow it. This is why we had to go with an advanced septic system for the tasting room.

Wow great information and pictures to show your progress. It is inspiring to the novice with dreams!
It is the best post I have read!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

We now ship withing Missouri! It's been awhile since I've been on, but we are growing. Last year we increased significantly and this year it is more marginal. It keeps us very busy! W

We will be coming out with habanero wine (2015), which is hotter, yet somewhat lemon flavor on the front. Going to be perfect for a marinade! After that sometime either in October next year or 2016, we will have Elderberry wine. We've made it many times before. It is good, but it needs aging to shine. :)

www.endlesssummerwinery.com

Thanks for all the kind words!!!

Mark

Latest posts

Back