WineXpert Carboy size?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahdi

Junior
Reaction score
Hi folks, I purchased 2 Island Mist kits. A wild berry Shiraz and a Pinot Grigio. Also bought the sugar and concentrate for both. Reading the forum suggests it is better to make them as 5 gallon kits. For better flavor. Will this still hold true if using the sugar and concentrate? I hope to avoid purchasing more larger carboys at this time. Thanks

Hi folks, I purchased 2 Island Mist kits. A wild berry Shiraz and a Pinot Grigio. Also bought the sugar and concentrate for both. Reading the forum suggests it is better to make them as 5 gallon kits. For better flavor. Will this still hold true if using the sugar and concentrate? I hope to avoid purchasing more larger carboys at this time. Thanks

I've done quite a few of those, when I boost with the concentrate and the sugar add-ons, I don't change the volume. My recommendation is to stick with the 6 gallons.

Thank you both for the fast reply. I guess I'll be buying more of the larger carboys.

I've only done one, just recently... "Boosted" and made to 6 gallons. My wife and many others have really enjoyed the WE IM Coconut Yuzu I'll be making more of it and other IM selections.

On my first attempt IM Blackberry Cab, I added 5# of sugar and shorted the water to make 5 gallons. It was purely by accident I shorted the water.

It turned out great. On my second attempt at the same kit, I added 5# of sugar and mixed to 6 gallons. It turned out good too.

I have not tried adding concentrate.

BTW: I also added 1/2 of the f-pack upfront to cut down on the sweetness.

Thank you both for the fast reply. I guess I'll be buying more of the larger carboys.

I would THINK you could short the volume and then add it back in after the wine is finished....I have done just that on occasion. Pretty easy to add volume....impossible to remove if you add to much.

Very interesting. Something to consider. I'll try to research it. Thanks

Latest posts

Back