Thoughts on starting very small winery.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After trying all weekend, I finally realized today that it would not submit because there is a pop-up window that must come up to agree that I am being honest in the information I put down. Of course I had my browser security settings set to block pop-ups.

So, application to register for COLAs online has been submitted. But, they say it will take 20 days to approve!?! What a crock. All they have to do is check to see if I have a valid permit and give me a password. Why does it take 20 days to do that? It shouldn't even need the intervention of a human being.

Is this the way it is from here on?

Yeah, kind of. When you submit labels for approval it can take a while and I have never met anyone that had one approved on the first try. The silver lining is that a resubmit on a rejected label gets head of the line privileges. Send me an email or call and I'll fill you in on some label cheats that I won't post here.

After trying all weekend, I finally realized today that it would not submit because there is a pop-up window that must come up to agree that I am being honest in the information I put down. Of course I had my browser security settings set to block pop-ups.

So, application to register for COLAs online has been submitted. But, they say it will take 20 days to approve!?! What a crock. All they have to do is check to see if I have a valid permit and give me a password. Why does it take 20 days to do that? It shouldn't even need the intervention of a human being.

Is this the way it is from here on?

Are you adding your permit to the COLAs online account? Yes, that takes anywhere from one to two weeks, on average. Sometimes, you can call and it will get added shortly after. I would suggest waiting a week (or a little more) and then calling. There are ways around the two weeks, but it's not common for TTB to add the permit the same day you request it.

Well, it only took 4 days but I got my login instructions today. After trying unsuccessfully to log in to the COLA's on-line - if tried the Formulas button and I got in. I had to add the COLA request to the companies list and now I'm waiting another 4 days? for access to COLAs. Seriously, whoever designed this web site must have been on drugs.

In an unlikely event, after being prodded by ffemt, my wife has decided to relinguish her part of the winery to me for the tidy sum of $1. This gets her off of the ownership of the winery (this will appease the 1920's statutes of the PLCB). She will also let me become the manager of the winery (appeasement #2 of the PLCB). From a ruling cited by the PLCB, they will let her continue to own our house which contains the winery and let her continue to have her paychecks deposited into our joint home savings/checking account which will fund the winery. We hope this pleases the powers at the PLCB/PA state police or whoever grants liquor licenses in the state of PA.

Please note that the PLCB now ranks up there with telemarketers, banks and the cable company as my least favorite people to deal with....

Latest posts

Back