Stainless Steel Tanks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norske

Forum Member
Reaction score
Curious as to what others use on the outside of their SS tanks. I have been using Weiman Stainless Steel wipes. Although they work good in removing fingerprints, water stains, etc. they are a bit costly.

What do you other wineries use for outside tank care?

I have found it is a complete waste of time and I don't know another winery that does anything either. Just wash them down when you're cleaning the inside of the tank. If they get dirty rinse them off.

Im curious about what the practical differences are in SS tank bottoms. (I’ve just used carboys.)

Sloped?
Conical?
Flat?

I presume the non-flat bottoms are to concentrate the lees to a specific area? Can you just open a valve on a tank and disgorge the lees? Would you?

Any advantage to one vs. another? I’m guessing any advantages are more for larger volume tanks than for say - 1000 litre size? TIA

I find my sloped bottom tanks are not effective at removing lees. Mainly they help to make sure you are draining all your wine out of the tank with no need to tip it. Flat bottom tanks will always leave some behind if you don't tip them.

Thx for that info. I like the idea of stainless, but i am beginning to think the flex tank might be a better step up for me for now.

Back