Are these wild grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are you located? They look to big for wild riparia, but may be a larger wild grape-depends on your location. Whatever they are, they are badly diseased.

Grapes have been cultivated by man for a long time. Jesus made grape wine. I have found remains of 1900s Concord grape vineyards in Indiana. More likely these were planted once upon a time but their planters no longer care for them. I know of no native bunch grapes in the SE.

Grapes have been cultivated by man for a long time. Jesus made grape wine. I have found remains of 1900s Concord grape vineyards in Indiana. More likely these were planted once upon a time but their planters no longer care for them. I know of no native bunch grapes in the SE.

The user is from Plainfield Indiana or near by and I agree it might be highly diseased Concord grapes, but who knows for sure. I would not even contemplate any wine from those grapes, but with some care next year, maybe.

grapeman said:
The user is from Plainfield Indiana or near by and I agree it might be highly diseased Concord grapes, but who knows for sure. I would not even contemplate any wine from those grapes, but with some care next year, maybe.

I'm in southern indiana

My philosophy with finding potentially edibles in the wild is that if I am not absolutely sure it is safe to eat is not to eat it lol.

The most common wild grape in Indaina is the Foxgrape, which is the parent variety of the now famous Concord grape. Call the Purdue University extension and ask if they can erxamine a sample and how much they will charge to tell you the exact strain.

Back