HCLF WFPB lifestyle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreginND

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It stands for High Carb Low Fat Whole Food Plant-Based lifestyle. Many of you who follow the dinner thread know I started a vegan lifestyle about 16 months ago. I've even taken some ribbing about it (BBQ ribs pun intended).

Anyway, I thought I would share my results. I think I've found a lifestyle I can easily stick to and accomplish my goals.

Two years ago . . .

ImageUploadedByWine Making1501530467.876372.jpg

Today . . .

ImageUploadedByWine Making1501530495.707379.jpg

Last summer, over 6 months without trying, I lost about 35 pounds. I gained back 15 over the winter and have dropped another 30 since March with some more attention to my calorie intake. So, I'm down about 50 pounds total at the moment. I need to lose about 30 more to get to where I want to be.

My wine is vegan. And I'm looking for a vegan alternative to gelatin fining. Any suggestions?

On a more somber note, I had an MRI in June that suggests I have MS. I won't get more information until I can meet with a neurologist in October. It would explain 15 years of strange symptoms. All the research I have done says that a vegan low fat diet is the best thing I could be doing and it has likely helped me stave off really debilitating symptoms. So, that has been motivating me even more this summer. I have added fish oil to my supplements because omega 3's are crucial for brain health. I have a very positive outlook at this point. My mother had very severe MS and was completely bedridden by the time she was my age. I am very thankful, if I do have this malady, that my course has taken a different path.

Last edited:
Great accomplishment Greg.

I hope the ms is a false lead. If not, one of my employees has been battling it for 30 years and swears the Vegan diet helped slow the progression.

Wine is vegan, is it not?

unless you add shellfish or fish bladder

Insects and arachnids are also members of the Kingdom Animalia. :h So, unless one has sprayed pesticides all over the vineyard to the point of complete sterility, or is making selected berry wine (such as Tokaji Aszú), then you are probably crushing some little animal critters hidden in the grape bunch, of one type or another, into the must. So not really vegan to me. ;)

Of course what I think is personal. "Vegan" is also a legal definition for food labels. So even some spider juiced up wine can still have that vegan label. On must draw such lines somewhere for public consumption, even if that line is an imperfect one IMHO.

Last edited:
Greg,

"Liked" your post for your continued weight loss and positive outlook. The fish oil will also help lower your blood pressure by thinning your blood, so watch bending down and straightening back up too quick.

Latest posts

Back