Paper Chromatography Test

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevelaz

Reaction score
I did my first paper chromatography test yesterday and wanted to see what you guys thought of it. I know its early but i wanted to practice and get an initial base reading. It went pretty smooth, however i had a hard time getting the tubes filled exactly to the mark on them. So what i did was what I saw on a video. After i made my 1 inch marks for my samples, i then made another mark 1/4 inch on each side of each mark. I then filled each sample between the marks. Im thinking the 1/4 was to much and maybe 1/8 on each side would be enough?

How much of a sample do you really need? If you filled the tube to the mark on them, that is not much at all...

The sample on the very end is the chardonnay that i did not add mlf. You can see the difference, the reds look like they are moving along...

image1 (19).JPG

Glad to hear that! By the way how do you guys store the chemicals and paper for the kit? I put the solution from the gallon jug back into its container and cleaned the jug. Was thinking of just putting everything back into the jug....

The solution that I use in the jug remains in the jug. I add a little next time around to 'top up'.

Looks like you can cut back on the sample size. this is one example of less is more so to speak. A couple small dabs is all you need.

Well I just did my 1st test as well. And it ain't pretty. Learned a quick lesson about using an eraser on the paper. Which is: Don't do it! That's all those extra blue dots across the bottom and the smudges on the right side. Also dropped a cab grape skin right where "Rosè" was intended. And mistakenly dabbed acid EVERYWHERE misreading instructions. Just a hot mess.

Probably shouldn't have rushed and actually did a little thing called research. Regardless I can still read where it needs to be read. It's actually only three samples that I added ML marked on the bottom. The others are just kits tested for the fun of it.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1495219809.909303.jpg
ITS RUDE TO LAUGH!
But call me crazy, it looks to me like the malo in all three of those samples is almost finished converting. MLB was only added less than 2 weeks ago on grapes. And 1 week ago on the juice batch. The "blend" is just the leftover from both combined.
Am I wrong about this? Seems unhealthily quick to me.
Note: going to do another test to confirm results. This time correct and much neater [emoji422]️

Last edited:
Well I just did my 1st test as well. And it ain't pretty. Learned a quick lesson about using an eraser on the paper. Which is: Don't do it! That's all those extra blue dots across the bottom and the smudges on the right side. Also dropped a cab grape skin right where "Rosè" was intended. And mistakenly dabbed acid EVERYWHERE misreading instructions. Just a hot mess.

Probably shouldn't have rushed and actually did a little thing called research. Regardless I can still read where it needs to be read. It's actually only three samples that I added ML marked on the bottom. The others are just kits tested for the fun of it.

View attachment 36311
ITS RUDE TO LAUGH!
But call me crazy, it looks to me like the malo in all three of those samples is almost finished converting. MLB was only added less than 2 weeks ago on grapes. And 1 week ago on the juice batch. The "blend" is just the leftover from both combined.
Am I wrong about this? Seems unhealthily quick to me.
Note: going to do another test to confirm results. This time correct and much neater [emoji422]️

LOL!!! That is a hot mess!! Do another, by the book. It does appear that you're close to done on the MLF batches, that's not unhealthy. Your MLB had the benefit of working in warm temps (fueled by yeast fermentation heat production) as well as a nearly alcohol free environment in the beginning, with plenty of food available. Smile!

I asked them not to laugh.
.........They laughed anyway.
#SarcasmCountsToo
View attachment 36315

Lol. Just another couple hours and I'll be redeeming myself.

I am not laughing. I did smile though, it helped make a nasty Friday a little better, so thank you. I have wine making stories I could tell you that would have you in stitches, so like I said, I did not laugh at you, but smiled in appreciation of things I've done much like that in the past.

If I had that test sheet and could find a way to "fix" the color, I would frame it and have it in my wine area. It is unique and only a wine maker would know what it is...

I am not laughing. I did smile though, it helped make a nasty Friday a little better, so thank you. I have wine making stories I could tell you that would have you in stitches, so like I said, I did not laugh at you, but smiled in appreciation of things I've done much like that in the past.

If I had that test sheet and could find a way to "fix" the color, I would frame it and have it in my wine area. It is unique and only a wine maker would know what it is...

I know that man. I'm just kiddin around about it. And I'm not easily offended. Growing up with four brothers in Northeast Philly and being on construction sites your whole life will give you thick skin real quick.
Hope your Friday night gets better. Or at least less of a bummer. And who knows, maybe it will end up in a frame! Go birds

I asked them not to laugh.
.........They laughed anyway.
#SarcasmCountsToo
View attachment 36315

Lol. Just another couple hours and I'll be redeeming myself.

We're laughing WITH you! People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I've messed up more stuff than you can imagine, not so bad as to have ruined anything, but mistakes happen. Yours is totally harmless, cost you a couple bucks tops, but I'm glad you weren't too proud to share it, others may be able to learn from it.

I've messed up more stuff than you can imagine,not so bad as to have ruined anything, but mistakes happen.

I like how you squeezed that in there. I can relate. Like the time I didn't account for more space for the airlocks on my oak shelf carboy wall. Or when the mosaic tile centerpiece was 2 inches off center. And then broke a hydrometer accidentally after being angry with myself for not using a dark enough stain in my Mecca of all home wine rooms!
Just messin with ya John! But I put a lot of you guys up on pedestals. So you're not allowed to make mistakes. Leave that to me. Got it?
But seriously that would be a great thread : funny winemaking mistakes or mishaps. Everyone's got em. Thought I'm sure that's had to of been done many times over the years.

Last edited:
After looking at my test results, on the first page, when is the next time i should test again?

Another thing, My samples are coming from a 15 gallon demi, a 6 gallon carboy, a 4 gallon carboy, and half gallon jug. Will the smaller containers finish faster?

Last edited:
After looking at my test results, on the first page, when is the next time i should test again?

Maybe around the end of the end of may or mid June. Once you get a test showing malic is gone, give it another couple weeks before sulfiting, then proceed with your normal regimen of bulk aging, racking, oaking, etc.

Latest posts

Back