High Alcohol Wine Yeast Help Please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased some high alcohol wine yeast (Gervin GV4 High Alcohol Wine Yeast). I was going to use it in my apple wine but then I found out that it could cause a sulfur odor in that wine. So as suggested by some kind folks here, I purchased a more suitable yeast to use in my apple wine (Lavlin 71B).
(I also learned that too much alcohol in wine can ruin the flavor so that is another reason I switched the yeast)

So, now I have a few pouches of this high alcohol wine yeast that I am not sure what to do with?!? Are there any other types of fruit that can be used with this high alcohol content wine yeast apart from grapes that can make a nice wine? Like blackberry?

Also, can I keep extra unopened packets of yeast in the freezer to make them last longer?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Just to be sure you know, using that yeast doesn't necessarily mean your wine will be high alcohol. You control the alcohol in your wine by adjusting your starting specific gravity to where you need it. High alcohol just means it can withstand higher alcohol levels. Like JohnT said, use it and keep it well fed with nutrient to keep the sulphur smell from appearing.

Last edited:
Back