Yeast ? For High alcohol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyT

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start an experimental batch of *whispers* welches wine. It's going to be a 3 gallon batch that I'm thinking might be a port style by the time I'm done. I was going to try and max out Ec-1118 to 18% if I can. I have the nutrient schedule and hydration process worked out but was wondering if I should use 2 packs of yeast since I'm trying to push everything as far as I can go with it. Will 1 pack be good or would 2 be the best option for this situation?

1 will be plenty for only a 3 gal. batch.

Are you going to fortify it like a port style?

Are you going to fortify it like a port style?

That I'm unsure of. I'm going to try to hit the 18%+ and see how it turns out instead of fortifying to 20% w/brandy. That's the way I'm leaning right now but leaving my options open.

use the step feed method. start with sg =1092 when it reach 1010 add sugar to reach sg=1020 continue until yeast stops fermenting. the last addition will add sweetness to high alcohol wine.

I have all that planned out, I was just wondering if a 2nd pack of yeast would help me have a better chance of getting to the 18%+ mark. I did a lot of reading and asking questions on the step feeding and have all the formulas to figure out the abv and everything

Latest posts

Back