Building a new Wine Making area WITH MY WIFE'S BLESSING AGAIN!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlfifer

Reaction score
I made the wine in an area of the boiler/mechanical area of the house. The space was about 5' x 10' with shelves along one wall. Pretty cramped. I had built a 2' x 4' table 40" high from a scrap of cultured marble. Here are some before pictures See pix #1. I had already started to tear the room apart before taking the pictures, so it looks worse than normal, but not much. I used an old medicine cabinet to store chemicals, and stacked cases of empties everywhere. It was cumbersome.

Here are some "in progress" pictures. I scored the counter top a Menard's for $26.00, the back-splash was broken lose at the right end. I am using more of the fallen ash trees for the cabinet frame and doors.

The laundry sink is the cheap leg mounted type, $26 as well, I could use it as a drop-in by turning it 90 degrees. The faucets are from Ebay, The small one is hot only with a bottle washer attached, total cost $19.00. The large pull-out faucet $63.00 including shipping.

Still need to drop in the ceiling, hang the door, install some selves across from the counter, above my head, for empty carboys, and finish the rest of the cabinet doors.

The 6 remaining cabinet doors will have wood wine case ends incorporated into them, 2 in each door. I have 20 case ends, I'll find a use for the remaining 8 ends.

IMG_20141114_192548.jpg

IMG_20141114_192607.jpg

IMG_20141114_192555.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

Last edited:
Great job. Talk about taking a little bit of nothing and turning it into an efficient looking area. It might be "tight" but having that dedicated area will be awesome.
Add more pics once you move in.
Mike

Very nice work ! You should be very proud that you have those type of skills

Very nice. The only negative I see is the sink up against the left wall which makes it harder to work with for us right handed folks. But the sink itself is still a big plus. I've no sink in the basement and must use use the kitchen sink one flight up.

The orientation of the sink allowed me to install a much larger laundry sink than the laundry sink that is designed to drop-in. This one is designed to stand alone on metal legs next to the counter and at standard counter top height, but I wanted it dropped into the counter and at a taller height than the legs would allow.

I finally, totally finished the cabinet construction. Each drawer holds 5-6 cases of empties. I made a case side with our "logo" for the middle top drawer by running off a mirror image laser copy on plain paper and using a hot iron, transferred the image to the wood. So simple it is almost unbelievable.

20150224_181933.jpg

20150223_173039.jpg

20150223_173000.jpg

20150224_181729.jpg

20150224_181805.jpg

20150224_181830.jpg

Very nice work. I really like the "labeled" drawer fronts.

I use the laundry sink also but now seeing yours I think I have to rethink my sink area. Thanks, looks awesome, Bakervinyard

Tell me you've left just enough room in there to sit on one of those stools with a glass or two of wine, put your feet up and admire what you've transformed that tiny kind of un-useable area into. Really nice work all the way around.
Love it!
Mike

Tired of tripping over the carboys on the floor. Adding shelves today. I'll post a pix this afternoon

Latest posts

Back