straining bags

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phador

Green
Reaction score
I decided to start up a batch of the dragon's blood recipe I found on the forums here, it looks tastey! I have a fine mesh nylon straining bag, but it has no drawstring. Any suggestions on what i should to tie it off that won't hurt the goodness of the brew?

I use string. I sanitize it in a kmeta solution before it goes into the must. I've even used shoe laces before in a pinch as well. (cutting off the plastic tips of course).

Although mine (paints strainer from Home Depot) does have a elastic top, I just let part of it hang over the edge of primary and use lid snapped over it to hold it in place. Press fruit down each day and snap back in place under lid.

I use cooking twine. Cut a length, dunk in no rinse sanitizer, and tie up the bag.

I use the elastic top paint strainer bag, too, and I simply grab the top and tie two ends of it together 3 times. Very easy to undo it when the time comes.

I prefer to use my nylon mesh bag as a strainer once the inshall fermentation is done, 10-14 days. It's big enough to wrap around the top of the bucket. Then I just pour must into the bag and strain put lid on tight and insert airlock. A few more days to settle out and then rack into a carboy. It is nice to have a second primary for this. The bag thing always gets in the way. :D

Mine are big enough you can have a bunch of fruit in them and just tie an overhand knot in the end. If there isn't enough room, I just use another bag, but then ususally have to use either 2 primaries or the brute trash can. Arne.

Mine are big enough you can have a bunch of fruit in them and just tie an overhand knot in the end. If there isn't enough room, I just use another bag, but then ususally have to use either 2 primaries or the brute trash can. Arne.

Same here. 5gal bag leaves plenty of room to just knot the bag.

I use a strainer bag when making elderberry and that green stuff get on the bad and its hard to get the bag clean, if possible. I fill a 5 gallon bucket about half full with hot water and oxy-clean and weight the bag down below the surface of the water and let it soak over nite. The next morning the bag is clean and the green goo is stuck to the bucket around the top edges where the water level was and that pretty easy to clean off with vegetable oil. It works for me. I've tried soaking the bucket with oxy-clean and that doesn't work, but it does work on the strainer bag.
Semper Fi

I use a PamperedChef type twix-it clip if I need to (cleaned and sanitized of course).

Latest posts

Back