RJ Spagnols Island Mist vs Orchard Breezin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiffany

Reaction score
I need some help. The first kit we made was an Island Mist Green Apple Riesling, which we added 7.5 C sugar to to up alcohol to 11% to 12%. Worked perfectly, cleared perfectly in almost exactly the number of days the directions said. I was told to get the Orchard Breezin, most liked it better I heard. We bought the Orchard Breezin and added the 7.5 C sugar as well. We aren't there yet, butit is a few days from bottling by the directions. We shined a light through it and you could see the light bulb clearly so we took a sample. It has particles floating in it. We also have an Orchard Breezin Green Apple that is further away from bottling but also has particles in it. We didn't notice this with the Island Mist. Has anyone had it happen? Will a few days possibly make a difference? The wine looks fairly clear but the particles are worrying me, especially in the BBM which should be ready for bottling in a couple days.

You really have to be a little more patient and let the lees compact a little bit more.

Okay, as long as it sounds normal that is fine. Just wondered if time was what it needed. Thanks!!

The little white floaties are from undisolved sorbate. It happens when it isn't dissolved totally. It likely won't settle out but could be filtered out if it bothers you. Next time make sure the water is very warm that you dissolve it in and I let it set for a while to check and make sure it is 100% dissolved.

I have found when mixing any chemicalp sorbate, k meta ,etc. a handheld immersion mixer works very well. They run at a very high speed and mix very thoroughly.AL

NEBama said:
I have found when mixing any chemicalp sorbate, k meta ,etc. a handheld immersion mixer works very well. They run at a very high speed and mix very thoroughly.AL

Some of us even run the mixture in a small blender with good results. I don't because I would be afraid it wasn't clean enough when I started- but I guess you coul throw in a bit of cleaning strength k-meta and run that and dump it before doing the sorbate mixture.

This might not be the same problem you are having - but just wanted to throw it out there...

Iremember that the Orchard Breezin red kits (i.e. Watermelon Merlot) were having issues in the past. I followed the instructions and ended up with sediment in the bottle - even though it looked clear at bottling time. A few others had the same problem - which I learned about on Spagnols forum. Most of the problems I read about occurred last summer. I don't know if they ever pinpointed the problem - some were guessing it could have been a change in the clearing agent that was being used.

Spagnols suggested filtering these kits (specifically red). Personally, I would leave the wine in the carboy longer and let it settle a few extra weeks before bottling - hopefully that will solve the issue.

Spagnols replaced my kit for me. The one I had (with the sediment) was/is drinkable - just does not look nice when you want to give them away to friends. Good luck!
smiley4.gif

I guess the confusion for me is that we mixed everything exactly the same way we did our Island Mist Kit and the Island Mist wine was crystal clear.

Okay, it appears these are just taking a few extra days to clear. Wade is correct, patience is the virtue here.
smiley1.gif

Back