WineXpert Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishWineP

Reaction score
We've been busy with wines today. We racked a couple and bottled a couple. That wasn't enough for me so I started another kit!
Today I started a Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve kit. ****WARNING!!**** What I'm about to tell you has voided the warranty on my kit!
smiley3.gif
Do not try this at home! (Unless you want to.) I'm a trained amatuer and am full of myself. I probably don't have a clue as to what I'm doing!
smiley9.gif

That said, here's what I did.
I thawed several pounds of frozen bananas (Had been very ripe and peeled before I froze them) in water. I poured an 8 ounce bag of dried elderberries into 1 quart of hot water and let them soak for a while. Then I started my kit. I did the bentonite thing, I poured the banana liquid and the berry liquid along with all the solids into a sanitized strainer bag, tied it shut. Then I finished following the directions for starting the kit, adding a little extra water to make up for the volume of the bananas and berries. The yeast has been pitched and now it's in the fermentation room, resting until the yeast kicks in.

Question and Im not sure on this what would be the correct procedure as
when using fruits you usually add k-meta and wait 24 hours to kill any
wild yeasts. In this case would you add it since you are using fruits
in the mixture? I would imagine you would but not quite sure on this!

JWMINNESOTA said:
That would be Eldercab Sauvinana
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
I like it! I may have to use that name! Thanks for the idea.

Wade, I don't know if any wild yeasts would have survived. The bananas were in the deep freeze for a couple of months, then I dropped them into the really hot water on the stove and kept heating until they were thawed. It was mighty hot when I poured that mixture into the primary. The berries had been dried, then when I rehydrated them, the water was at boiling when I pour them in. I kept the heat on for a few minutes after I put them in the water. They too were still hot when I added them. Think everything was pretty well dead. If not, it should give the wine an extra something.

Part of the fun of this hobby is the experimental things we can do. I was wondering about the battonage technique , and trying it on the Chardasia. Don't think I will the first time at least, just to have a baseline to compare to, but wondered would it work.

You go PWP.....I think you are going to have a mightyu fine cab

Thanks, Waldo. I just took a peak at her and she's cooking!
smiley32.gif
Mmmm... Nothing like the smell of a primary fermenter holding the glory of wine to get you going on a Monday morning! I feel this will be a beautiful day!

PWP,

I am curious about how you chose the enhancements to the kit. What
effects do you expect these addittions to have on your result besides
flavor contributions? Do you anticipate aging - how long?

Incidentally, I believe yeast spores can survive freezing.

Jack on Rainy said:
PWP,
I am curious about how you chose the enhancements to the kit. What effects do you expect these addittions to have on your result besides flavor contributions? Do you anticipate aging - how long?

Incidentally, I believe yeast spores can survive freezing.
It started while I was shopping in George's store. Since I live in Minnesota, that was a treat to be there in person!
smiley4.gif

I was wandering around and saw the bag of dried elderberries. I wanted them so I bought them. Then I consulted George about a lower priced kit in which I could use them. After much discussion he asked forJoseph's opinion, and that's how I chose the kit to go with the enhancement.
The bananas was kind of an after thought. I was getting ready to put the wine together and Bert asked if I was going to add bananas for body. I'd been waffling with the idea up to that point so I took his question as an indication that I should add them.
And that is the story of how my wine came into being.

Good story PWP. I wish I was close enough to wander through Georges store!
smiley19.gif

PWP,

Thanks, it is a good story and I wish I was close enough to get into Georges store as well. I am sure wine is spoken there. Incidentally, I am 1500 miles straight north so my fermenting area has to be heated....
smiley1.gif

Jack on Rainy.....are you on the Rainy River?????We're South East of Thief River Falls...or...North West of Bemidji....
smiley17.gif

I was wondering the same thing too! Jack, we're not that far from you. I just happened to be in Dallas on a trip so I made sure I got to FVW!

Looks like the wine craft is alive and well in MN, maybe George should open another store up here!
smiley32.gif

YooHoo, Ya'll...can a southerner butt in here.....

First of all Welcome, Jack
smiley32.gif
!!!!!!!!

And PWP, that wine sound really interesting!!!!! Going to bring it to Winestock? ............... Ramona

Latest posts

Back