My First Batch!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
Well, here is my first batch, a Pinot Grigio. Upon sampling while bottlingby myself, my wife, and some friends it tastes pretty good, a little harsh and maybe a bit weak, but hopefully it will get better with a little aging.

2005-11-20_104724_Pinot_Grigio_Bottling.jpg

Some of the corks did not go in all the way so I guess I will have to trim them before I put the wrap on.

Steve

Groton, Ct

Good job Steve.
smiley32.gif
Wine looks great. What type of corker do you use? I use a hand corker and have the same problem somtimes and I do just as you said. I trim them off and then add my shrink caps

Waldo, I have a hand corker also, I thinkI am going to be looking into a floor corker soon...

Steve,

The problem with the corks is that you over filled the bottles. You need to leave at least 1 inch between the cork and the wine. It has to do with pressure. Otherwise, your wine looks great and will soften over the next several months.

I have a Gilda corker. Two ppl one to hold the corker handle together me and my daughter plunges the cork down. This works pretty well on most corks. I have gone to the floor corker. I bottle . My daughter now corks. A small assmebly line. I have stepped up to very dense corks with floor corker. It makes them easy to insert and I have gone to dry corks. Had trouble with the bacteria cranking up even after being soaked it quart of hot water with may camdem tabs. Rj spagnols has recomded corking with dry ones. The floor corker makes these easy.

Good move. I am not a fan of any of the plastic corkers.

I also agree with RJ Spagnols on dry corks, except I rinse my corks in a sulfite solution first.

I have the two handled one too and have the same problem with corks sticking out. So Curtis cut a synthetic cork in half and we use it as sort of a plunger extender if that makes sence. It gives that little extra push and the corks are all the way in then. And I'll be sure to pay closer attention to make sure the bottles arent too full so the pressure will be right...thanks George.

A floor corker is also in my future!!
smiley2.gif
Ramona

Back