Works in progress

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Drunken Friar Cellars
Reaction score
These are current works in progress. On theright is a 2-day-old 5-gallon batch of Joe M's Ancient Orange Spice mead, a 4-week-old 1-gallon batch of the same in the rear, and on the left is a 3-gallon week-old batch of frozen blackberry/raspberry puree wine. The bottle in the center was the orange spice mead bottled last month. There are about 6-8 1-gallon carboys of various meads and wineson the shelf below and another 3 gallon carboy of mixed frozen berry mead bulk aging in the cabinet under the sink.

My space is an unused shower stall in the laundry room in my basement, so if there's a spill or some other accident it will simply go down the drain.

2005-11-14_082849_Mead.JPG

Rule:

Looks good. Boy, I wish I had a space in the basement that had water and a drain............ That would make a nice wine working area. Is your Orange bubbling pretty good? Looks like it bubbled into the neck pretty far.....

Thanks! Yes, Joe's Ancient Orange recipe always bubbles like this for me. In fact this, my 4th batch, was bubbling strongly within 5 minutes of pitching the dry yeast directly onto the must - without rehydrating, stirring, or shaking, though I did shake vigorously to oxygenate (is that a word?)prior to pitching the yeast. The ingredients in this recipe were multiplied by five from the original 1-gallon recipe and this time I used a little over two packets of Fleishman's yeast.Last time I wassuccessful witha 2-gallon recipe and this is my first attempt at 5 gallons.

If you notice there's acolor seperationdue to the fermentation processhalfway down the carboy. By now, the 4th day, the layer has dropped to near the bottom and will soon disappear entirely. The raisins initially dropped to the bottom but as they rehydratemost slowly float to the top, only to drop again as the mead clears.

Looks nice Rule G, all these picture of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead is gonna get me in serious trouble n strife
smiley36.gif

Hey jobe - I saw you on another forum and now I know why you envy my
shower stall workplace. Did you ever clean that mess from your ceiling?
Luckily that's never happened to me but you wouldn't believe all I
spill during bottling!! I just can't seem to get it through my head
that I have to keep the "business" end of the tube higher than the end
in the carboy. Maybe I shouldn't drink and bottle at the same time!
smiley5.gif

Rule: Your right. I always forget to take a picture, so thanks for the reminder........ Like my wife doesn't remind me enough....
smiley7.gif

Mind you, this is the kitchen ceiling:

2005-11-15_171641_ceiling.jpg

smiley36.gif

Luckily, I'm down in the basement. The blast-off with my blueberry was quite a mess. The 80+ year old basement cieling was a little more forgiving than your alabaster white one.

Luckily, my husband hasn't noticed (yet.) Shhhhh!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back