Can I get a calculation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoiledRotten

Reaction score
I don't know why the Wine Calc is not working for me, now. I am working on my peach and trying to find out how much sugar to add to get to 1.085 from the current SG of 1.025. I know I could keep heating and adding sugar over and over until I reach that point, but the winecal has just about spoiled me. I'm operating Windows Vista 64, and every time I try to get a reading it states that one of the "one or more inputs out of range".

I have
Target SG 1.000
Measured SG 1.025
US GAL 5.5 (and I rounded it down and up just to see if it would work)

When I try to see how many lbs of sugar, it won't tell me.

Would one of you please calculate the amount of sugar needed for me? Thank you so much... in advance.

I don't know why the Wine Calc is not working for me, now. I am working on my peach and trying to find out how much sugar to add to get to 1.085 from the current SG of 1.025. I know I could keep heating and adding sugar over and over until I reach that point, but the winecal has just about spoiled me. I'm operating Windows Vista 64, and every time I try to get a reading it states that one of the "one or more inputs out of range".

I have
Target SG 1.000
Measured SG 1.025
US GAL 5.5 (and I rounded it down and up just to see if it would work)

When I try to see how many lbs of sugar, it won't tell me.

Would one of you please calculate the amount of sugar needed for me? Thank you so much... in advance.

Based on a target of 1085 and a measured of 1025 you will need 3623 grams or 7.99 lbs of sugar for 5.5 gallons.

I'm on vista as well. When you enter your SG enter it as 1085 and 1025 not 1.085 or 1.025. I had the same problem initially until I figured that our. Its funny because you can enter .5 gallons.... Give it a shot and see if it works.

Thanks Doug. I was actually putting in the wrong target SG. I was thinking about the wrong target. When I put in .998 or 1.000, that was my "real" target gravity after fermentation, not to see how much sugar I needed to get the fermenting going. It took your response to get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks again.

Randy, my hydrometer has a scale to determine sugar additions. Basically it's 4 ounces of sugar (by weight) per gallon to raise gravity .010

It's pretty close but I always shoot low then add a little more sugar. One thing to keep in mind is carboys are always a little larger than what they are. From a full 5 gallon carboy I get 5 and 1/2 gallons or 5 1/4 depending upon which carboy I grab.

Many thanks to both of you. My Peach as taken off! I started with 1.080 SG, which should make for a pretty smooth flavor.

It'll be awesome. I added strawberries with my strawberry last year. It's a huge hit.

I'm going to bottle part of my strawberry since I have 3 gallons and then save the other 3 gallons to blend with the peach when I start it. I heard it makes a great blend. We shall see in a few months. Haven't even started my peach yet.

Perhaps this Excel spread sheet might be useful. I work as the Associate Winemaker at Fenn Valley Vineyrads. It's in brix (% solids"sugar" ) conversion, but that is all we use at the winery.

Chapitalization Calc

Has anyone added sugar to a kit? My buddy uses steamed fruit and then addes 10 pounds of sugar. How much yeast should I use?

Thank you, I have a wineexpert apple reisling that I want to try to boost the alcohol content. I would assume this would make it taste slightly dryer?

Thank you, I have a wineexpert apple reisling that I want to try to boost the alcohol content. I would assume this would make it taste slightly dryer?

No. The amount of yeast has nothing to do with how "dry" a wine will become. Yeast grows in the juice and during fermentation multiplying a thousand fold.

How well the fermentation goes and how it is able to convert all the sugar to CO2 and alcohol is all that is needed to know. Too much sugar and it will never be able to give a dry wine since the EtOH will eventually stunt and kill off the yeast.

Latest posts

Back