Skittle Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked the SG of my Skittle wine in the primary. It is at 1.130 after 16 days which is about where it was a week ago. Any suggestions on if it is ready to go into glass or has it not fermented yet? If it's stuck what next?

What was your starting SG? I'd probably give it a good stirring and try to get some O2 in it. Also what is the temp at?

I just checked the SG of my Skittle wine in the primary. It is at 1.130 after 16 days which is about where it was a week ago. Any suggestions on if it is ready to go into glass or has it not fermented yet? If it's stuck what next?

I've never made a Skittle wine, but that definitely sounds stuck. What's the temperature/yeast strain? Have you added yeast nutrient/energizer? What's it smell like?

Actually I haven't checked the temp yet. I can smell the yeast and it has a foam on the top every time I open it to give it a stir. I did add nutrient when I first mixed it. Maybe a little more tonight with another good stir? Then I'll put a heating pad under it on low and see what happens.

Just checked the liquid temp. It was 61 so I placed a heating pad under it to bring it up to about 75-80. Later tonight I'll add nutrient and give it a good stir.

That should get it up and going. Has the white scummy/waxy layer appeared yet?

I just moved it to the secondary so time will tell how it goes.

It may be worth mentioning and I do not know who else may do or think like this. I try to keep the sides above my must somewhat clean. I figure air is exposed to all the little drops and even fruit bits clinging to the primary inner wall. Usually I only have an inch or two above the top of the must and this is constantly being re-wetted.

If I have a batch that for any reason is sloppy, as my pumpkin wine bubbling, I will halfway thru fermentation take a clean papertowel moisened slightly with a water/sulfite solution and wipe the excess off.

Just food or wine for thought.

It may be worth mentioning and I do not know who else may do or think like this. I try to keep the sides above my must somewhat clean. I figure air is exposed to all the little drops and even fruit bits clinging to the primary inner wall. Usually I only have an inch or two above the top of the must and this is constantly being re-wetted.

If I have a batch that for any reason is sloppy, as my pumpkin wine bubbling, I will halfway thru fermentation take a clean papertowel moisened slightly with a water/sulfite solution and wipe the excess off.

Just food or wine for thought.

Thanks Steve! It's those little suggestions & things along the way that really help out. :h

Quick question..... or two!

My skittle wine is ready for racking. Do I add clearing agent to this like I did my other wines?
If so how much?

Okay make it three questions. ;)
Is there anything else I need to add at this point that didn't go in with the recipe?

I added a f-pak to mine, I wanted as much skittle taste as i could get. THis is what I did:
Stabilize your wine wait 48hrs and then add 3 small bags of skittles just dump them in.

It takes about 1 week for the flavor to be drawn out of the candy. Take a SG reading and then IF NEEDED back sweeten to your taste.

I never use clearing agents, I just let my wines set in my Cold basement and rack it till it's clear. If you use clearing agents just follow the instructions that are on them.

TASTE is great!! I had a half a bottle extra that would not fit in my bulk storage container, I used it to give out some samples.

It was neat when they tried to guess the flavor. Every taste seems to give you a different flavor, But hey they guessed all the flavors...LOL

I added a f-pak to mine, I wanted as much skittle taste as i could get. THis is what I did:
Stabilize your wine wait 48hrs and then add 3 small bags of skittles just dump them in.

It takes about 1 week for the flavor to be drawn out of the candy. Take a SG reading and then IF NEEDED back sweeten to your taste.

I never use clearing agents, I just let my wines set in my Cold basement and rack it till it's clear. If you use clearing agents just follow the instructions that are on them.

TASTE is great!! I had a half a bottle extra that would not fit in my bulk storage container, I used it to give out some samples.

It was neat when they tried to guess the flavor. Every taste seems to give you a different flavor, But hey they guessed all the flavors...LOL

That sounds good but should I rack first before adding the additional skittles?

Well I have not been on here for some time, But I had to come back and update a few threads.

The skittles is a year old now,and I'm just about out!!! :( This has been a favorite of my friends. I have a "order" for 4 bottles and that'll clean me out!

Flavor is just like a handful of skittles, and has a good body to it. It never loses the muddy look to it, But I figure if you mix the rainbow colors you get brown...

I'm gearing up to do a LARGE batch of this stuff.

I used all of the colors and mine is red. I racked and degassed mine yesterday then added an F-pack of two bags dissolved in 1/4 cup of water. I'm going to let it clear one more time then bottle it.

Latest posts

Back