Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > General Wine Making Forum > Paper Chromatography Test

Old 07-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #51
Stevelaz

Apr 2016
Liked 74 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here is my latest test i did yesterday on my Chilean juice from this year. It looks very close to being done , if not done already. I see a very very faint yellow on all the samples. Since this is my first time with mlf im not sure when to know its complete. Should there be NO yellow at all or will it never actually be totally clear? Thanks, please let me know what you think.
image1 (23).JPG  

People Like This 
Old 07-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #52
cmason1957

Aug 2011
Liked 928 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 138

You are nearly complete. Let it sit for another 2 weeks or maybe even a month. I don't think you need to test it again, you are near the lower limits of what chromatography can tell you.

People Like This 
Old 07-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #53
Stevelaz

Apr 2016
Liked 74 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmason1957 View Post
You are nearly complete. Let it sit for another 2 weeks or maybe even a month. I don't think you need to test it again, you are near the lower limits of what chromatography can tell you.
Ok. Thanks. Oh, and i forgot to mention that i still see very tiny bubbles at the service rim of the wine and some tiny bubbles still rising up through the wine. However, im thinking it could be from degassing? Also, i just gave the Merlot a taste and pretty good for being this young!

Old 07-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #54
ceeaton
In my terrible twos of wine making

Feb 2015
Liked 2138 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 2297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevelaz View Post
Ok. Thanks. Oh, and i forgot to mention that i still see very tiny bubbles at the service rim of the wine and some tiny bubbles still rising up through the wine. However, im thinking it could be from degassing? Also, i just gave the Merlot a taste and pretty good for being this young!
Stir every few days, when the tiny bubbles subside I'd test again, or within a few weeks. I don't get the same amount of tiny bubbles when my wine is degassing verses when MLF is doing it's thing. I think it's a pretty good indicator to watch. The frequency of the blurps through your airlock will also be more frequent as MLF is progressing. When they slow up, I test. If it shows it's done, I wait two weeks. That being said in all honesty upon looking at the image of your latest test I think you will be pretty much done in two weeks, as long as you stir it up a few times in between. I've always had a touch of yellow in the malic area, never had it perfectly clean.