Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Kit Winemaking > RJ Spagnols RJS 2017 RQ1 Cabernet Sauvignon

Old 06-03-2017, 05:34 AM   #21
jgmann67
Rennaisance Man

Feb 2015
Liked 784 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Interesting- the sediment now has two strata. The lower which is the typical rouge, and the upper which is an egg shell color.

A bottle of wine begs to be shared...

Old 06-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #22
jgmann67
Rennaisance Man

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgaul View Post
At the time of the 2nd racking I was all set to make some modifications . . . adding more oak, F-pacs or possibly dark chocolate. Upon tasting and seeing my wife's positive reaction I decided that no mods were needed. I hope I find similar results in the future.
I'm interested if this is still your position two months later - no mods necessary?

Old 06-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #23
tjgaul
Aspiring Winemaker

Oct 2016
Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Just checked the carboy this weekend and the SG has not moved a bit, still at 1.010 and the wine is still sweet. The underlying flavor is good and I don't want to mess with it, but I do want it to dry out. I just started the 2nd kit of the same style on Sunday.

Plan "B" is to complete an extended maceration on the 2nd kit and inoculate the first batch with some of the active must from the 2nd kit. Hopefully, adding back some similar live yeast, combined with a couple degree temp increase, will stimulate the original batch to complete fermentation without altering the flavor profile.

I'm still holding out hope that the original batch goes dry so I am not adding sorbate unless it becomes my last resort. I am seeing positive air pressure in the airlock, but I have yet to witness an actual bubble passing through.

I also started an RJS Eclipse Merlot this weekend so there will be blending possibilities down the road.

Having more fun than humans should be allowed.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:28 AM   #24
jgmann67
Rennaisance Man

Feb 2015

Quote:
Just checked the carboy this weekend and the SG has not moved a bit, still at 1.010 and the wine is still sweet. The underlying flavor is good and I don't want to mess with it, but I do want it to dry out. I just started the 2nd kit of the same style on Sunday.

I'm still holding out hope that the original batch goes dry so I am not adding sorbate unless it becomes my last resort. I am seeing positive air pressure in the airlock, but I have yet to witness an actual bubble passing through.

I also started an RJS Eclipse Merlot this weekend so there will be blending possibilities down the road.

How long have you been at this SG in the secondary? Temp? If you haven't, try to get the temp up to 70* and give it a good stir. If you have and it's been a long time, you might drop a third to a half of an EC-1118 yeast packet.

I'm about 10 days ahead of you on the RQ Merlot. It's in secondary at around 1.000 and dropping.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:29 AM   #25
tjgaul
Aspiring Winemaker

Oct 2016
Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Thanks for the tip. I actually put the carboy on the warming mat (plant seed starter) a few days ago to bring the temp up. I think I will follow your advise and drop some EC-1118 in.

Would you hydrate the yeast or pitch it dry?

BTW ... I have a 2nd batch just finishing up primary (hit .998 on Saturday) and I tried innoculating the stuck batch with some active must from the 2nd. So far no action. I was considering splash racking to a fresh carboy and then pitching the EC-1118. Your thoughts?

Having more fun than humans should be allowed.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #26
jgmann67
Rennaisance Man

Feb 2015

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I actually put the carboy on the warming mat (plant seed starter) a few days ago to bring the temp up. I think I will follow your advise and drop some EC-1118 in.

Would you hydrate the yeast or pitch it dry?

BTW ... I have a 2nd batch just finishing up primary (hit .998 on Saturday) and I tried innoculating the stuck batch with some active must from the 2nd. So far no action. I was considering splash racking to a fresh carboy and then pitching the EC-1118. Your thoughts?
The limited times I've done it, I just sprinkled it dry.

If you bring the temp up, give it a good stir and there's no change in SG after a week, I'd say, yes - go ahead with the alternative and add yeast. But, that's me and I've only been making wine a couple years now.

I got a taste of my RQ Cab (it's been in clearing for about two weeks) and decided to drop 45g of French Med+ Oak Cubes into the carboy.

I'm seeing a case or two of Bordeaux in my future (blending this and the RQ French Merlot).