Newby question on primary must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

habanerojefe

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everybody! I'm new to wine making. I picked 12 pounds of red wine berries to make wine with!

So far so good. I just have two questions.

1. My must is now in its 5th day of the primary. But the snap crackle and pop noise is gone. It fact it was mostly gone yesterday. Is this normal?

2. My other concern is the odor coming off this must. It's kind of sweet and good, but there's also a very faint sulfur odor (really faint)

I would appreciate any wisdom applied!

Thank you.

Hab

Last edited:
There are lots of questions to ask you, but for now let me just give a few words in direct answer to your questions.

1. Yes, a fermentation will run its course of most vigorous fermentation (i.e., snap, crackle, pop) in the time frame of 5 to 8 days.

2. It seems likely that your must was deficient in some nutrients that yeast need. When they lack these nutrients, they produce H2S (hydrogen sulfide), which smells a bit like rotten eggs.
The safest way to remove this is to add a product called Reduless, which is available from, for example, morewinemaking.com . If it is only a small amount of H2S, you may get away with just stirring and aerating your wine. It is important to get rid of this fairly quickly; otherwise, the H2S can change into compounds (mercaptans) that are harder to get rid of.

Do you have a hydrometer? If not, this is the first order of business for you to obtain for your winemaking.

I added a yeast nutrient of Urea and Diammonium Phosphate to the must prior to adding yeast But nothing to control any H2S. I think that's what it is. you said I might try stirring it out - how about when I de-gas after I transfer it to the secondary? I also have an acid blend of tartaric, Malic and Citric, but I haven't added any yet.

I will pick up Reduless tomorrow regardless. I'm only making a gallon to start off with.Can I add the reduless after I transfer to secondary?
And yes. I do have a hydrometer.

Thanks for responding. I know I can use your expertise.

Hab

I added a yeast nutrient of Urea and Diammonium Phosphate to the must prior to adding yeast But nothing to control any H2S.

The nutrients you mention are indeed what is supposed to prevent H2S formation. Not sure why you got H2S despite adding nutrients, unless, of course, you still did not have enough YAN (yeast-assimilable nitrogen). This depends on how nutrient-deficient the must was and how much nutrient you added.

What kind of "red wine berries" are we talking about? Grapes or other fruit?

Just to add to Paul's recommendations.

What was your SG to begin with?
What is it now?
And yes, what type of berries/fruit are we talking about?

The faint smell could possibly be some of the yeast. I know in the past I have had some ferments give off a slight "off" smell and it was just the yeast, sugar, etc. doing their thing.
If you added the correct amount of nutrient you should be ok.

I used 3 pounds of red raspberries and a 1/2 pound of blue berries - 2 1/4 lb of sugar. I used a whole 5 gram package of champaign yeast. My SG reading after 5 days of 1.03. I sampled the must (2 or 3 oz)as I transferred it to the secondary. The taste was raw and slightly alcoholic. And I caught a nice little buzz.
I don't detect rotten egg anymore. Do I still add reduces? I definitely want to de-gass tomorrow after I buy the attachment for my drill. Thanks for your advice! Ha

newby question on raspberry wine making

Hello,

This is my third posting on this site and I wanted to thank all of you for helping me understand the finer points of wine making.

New question:

I have 2 batches in the second primary stage. In both batches, I drained the overage in to a quart-size mason jars and covered with a breathable cloth.
So I have 2 quarts a week apart in the secondary fermenting process. I feel like I need to combine these into a gallon size rack with an air-lock, but I don't know if I can combine the 2 quarts since they started a week apart!.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Back