Apples and Peaches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
My Green Apple had fermented down to.980

2005-12-18_090613_green_apple.jpg

so I degassed and stabalized it yesterday

2005-12-18_090653_degassing_green_apple_121705.jpg

It actually took about 4 minutes total stirring with my Fizz-X to get this one degassed. Was glad I had it in the sink for the degassing.
smiley36.gif

Bottled my last two gallon of Peach this morning too.

2005-12-18_090925_peach_bottled_121805.jpg

Labeled and ready for the wine cabinet. Did not particularly care for the color of shrinks but it was all I had left.

2005-12-18_091431_peach_labeled_121805.jpg

Looks great...was the Peach Wine made from local fresh peaches??? How about the Apple Wine??? Local or Estate [your own???] Bet that Peach Wine is tasty....sounds so good!!!

How is the peach, I am thinking about starting one soon. Did you use juice or fruit?

Let me lump my Thanks and answer all the questions in one post if it's ok...I Hear no dissenting voices so here goes
smiley36.gif

The Apple is a Green Apple Rieslingis Island Mist kit and the peachwas fromVinters Harvest which aresolid pack fruit in their natural juices. It is going to take some aging on the Peach but it was pretty darned good at bottling.

I racked my Peach Wine day before yesterday and it is still cloudy (made fron fresh peaches). Addes spark aloid about a month ago cleared just a little & still foggy with the flash lite test , Taste pretty good though

Harry

What kind of temp do you have it clearing in Harry? Did you use any pectic enzyme?

pectic enzyme? Could you fill me in? What is it, what does it do, where do you get it?

Thanks mucho.

Lets take your question in steps. To begin, Pectin is a polysaccharide, long chains of a sugar derivative, galacturonic acid. It is present in the cell walls of plant tissues and will impart a permanent haze to beer or wine.

Pectin was not discovered until the 1820s. Housewives, responsible for preparing food for winter, knew jellies could be made with certain fruits--sour and crab apples, quinces, gooseberries, Concord grapes, and cranberries. Other fruit like strawberries, blueberries, cherries, or peaches would not gel. Housewives got around this by adding fruit that would gel to fruit that would not gel. Still, until glass jars were invented which could be sealed with wax (1850s) and Louis Pasteur discovered why food spoiled (1861), jams, jellies, preserves, and conserves were short-term solutions to a glut of ripe fruit. Foods for the winter consisted of what could be dried, buried in barrels, or immersed in salty water (pickled) or oil. Pectin was first extracted from the waste of crushed apples from making juice or cider. Today most pectin is extracted from citrus rinds. The long chains of pectin bind the liquids with the dissolved and suspended solids forming a gel. Pectin allowed for a wider range of fruits to be made into jellies, jams, and preserves. Most berries & apples contain pectin.

Pectic Enzyme
Pectic enzyme increases juice yields from fruits by breaking down cellular structure. Also acts as a clarifier, and is used to clear hazes caused by residual pectins.
Use: Add 1/4 teaspoon per 6 US gallons of wine. If making wine from scratch, this is a good item to have in your arsenal.
Item Number: #6382

A good resource for info on Pectin is the web site for the International Pectin Producers Assocation

http://www.ippa.info/

Hope this answered your questions podner.

Pectic enzyme - a little more clarification. Probably best used in the must
before fermentation to stabilize pectin rather than during aging to try to
knock down a pectin haze.

From the web, here are a few high and low pectin fruits:
High-pectin fruits: blackcurrants, redcurrants, cooking apples, damsons,
quinces, gooseberries and some plums.

Low-pectin fruits: blackberries, cherries, elderberries, pears, rhubarb,
strawberries and medlars.

Fruit wine recipes, such as from Jack Keller's web site, always list pectic
enzyme when it is necessary.

Bill

Latest posts