Fresh juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill B

Reaction score
Tjis is what I got in the mail today.
2005-10-10_144643_100_0156.JPG

Hippie, this is my second pail of Blackberry and my first Red Raspberry. I didn"t mean to tease you, but I know how much you enjoy Blackberry. The first batch is now on Oak and will be ready to bottle in a month or so. The Cherry will follow. I post some pics along the way.

Martina, Im in Warner Robins Ga. and Im not lucky just a little weak in the wallet

Bill

Bill, did you add any water and sugar, or ferment as is? Just wondering about the acid.

Hippie, I fermented as is. I know It goes against most of what we read, discuss about, and seek advice on,and I was concerned about this also. Remember a while back we wondered what adjustments they made at the Walkers, well I had a discussion with Rick Walker on this very topic. Although very technical he said that on non grape juices they keep the acidity higher because of the many different acids found that this level of acidity gives the best Crispness and Fruit Foward taste. So I guess he asnwered one of our ques. They do adjust the acidity. Now on grape juices they keep the acidity down to the accepted levels or adjust them according to a wineries request. I also said thatprior to bottling I was going to sweeten it a bit. He thought this was a good idea. I tasted the Blackberry and Cherry tonight just to ease my mind and found them both to be quite good. Even though not sweetened yet they tasted as though you just picked them and was eating them . Quite good.

By they way, the instructions that come with the juice do not mention any thing about acid adjustments. Thats when he explained the above. No mention of how they adjust either. I wish I had a tape recorder as he was very technical and some of it went over my head.

Bill

Makes sense that he is expecting the winemaker to sweeten up the fruit wines, so they just leave the acid alone.

Hippie its a CATCH_22. Do I do as I"ve read and learned or do as the manufacture suggest which is different. I do value your expertise and knowledge along with others and by no means do I suggest others disregard the proven tables on PH or ACIDITY. Walkers fresh juice is a goodproduct and they have been doing this a lot longer than I, so I have to bend a bit and follow the manufactures directions as stated. Sorry for being so long winded Im not good with words.

Bill

No really, Bill, I agree with you . Mr. Walker's idea, as with most commercial wineries that make fruit wines, is to finish the fruit wines sweet. A wine that is intended to be finished sweet must also finish with alot of the fruit acids intact, for balance. The must is also adjusted to 21 brix so that the alcohol amount willalso bewithin that balance. I like my fruit wines anywhere between off-dry and semi-sweet.

Thanks Hippie.Ditto on the sweetness. Ill post some pics as I prohress.

Bill

Good deal. Looking forward to the pics. Thanks. I might just have to splurge one day myself to get some type of fruit juice not readily available here.

Bill:

Your in Ga, but the juice (Walker's) address is from NY?

How do you get the Juice? Do they ship? Do they have a web site? Or do they just have a local retailer near you? Sorry for all the questions but I would love to get juice like that.

Thanks Masta
smiley32.gif

I guess I could have just done a search for "Walker's", so I appreciate you stepping in during a senior moment.....
smiley2.gif

I'll call them on Monday and get my order in, he Blackbery looks to irresistable.

So does the rasberry.......

And the reisling

And the strawberry........

and the............. Oooop's, wife just came home......... back to reality
smiley2.gif

Thanks again

Hi jobe05, Masta is correct on everything, however be prepared to pay quite a bit for shipping. Since the gas prices went up they just pass t on to us. I had 2 5 gal US pails shippedfor$46.00total on 1 Blackberry and 1 Raspberry. By the way these juices are very easy to make. Any ques don"t hesitate to ask.

Bill

Back