airlocks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryjo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have just started using vodka in my airlocks. I am concerned with evaporation over a period of time. Would floating a few drops of mineral oil on the surface of the vodka to prevent evaporation be advisable?
I know this works in floor drains and seldom used sink traps,(the oil, not the vodka!)so how about airlocks?
Or is the evaporation any worse than with sulfite solution?

You just have to remember that vodka or sulfite solution won't affect the wine much if it gets sucked into the carboy due to temperature or pressure change.
Mineral oil can be a bit messier if sucked back into your wine.

I've always just used straight vodka (for years now). With the plastic lid on top of the airlock, evaporation hasn't been a big problem - just keep an eye on the level and top it off every few weeks or so.

And when the batch is done you can celebrate with a shot!
smiley4.gif

hmmm... top it off??
so you don't remove the airlock and replace it with a clean one that has the right amount of liquid in it?

No - if you are using a standard 3pc airlock you can just take the lid off and top off the vodka. There's no need to remove the airlock (which could disturb the nice layer of CO2 that's keeping your wine from oxygenating).

I agree, no need ever to remove, just add a little every now and then.

O.K. guys and gals. Using vodka in the airlock is "new" to me!

What is the reasoning behind this?

Thanks.....

Nothing that could harm your wine can live in it, it's completely sterile and if any gets sucked into the wine (which can happen during pressure/temp changes or if you move the fermenter) it won't contaminate it.

Also Vodka is great in the airlock for cold stabilization, will not freeze if temp drops too low.

tdeyette said:
Also Vodka is great in the airlock for cold stabilization, will not freeze if temp drops too low.

very good point when using a basement or cellar

Thanks for the replies.

Gotta find the wife's vodka bottle and get ready. Degassing tomorrow and I'll change it over then from water to vodka.

Thanks.....BB

Just be sure to change it out once in a while. It DOE NOT last forever. Being open to air in the airlock, the alcohol in it evaporates over time. After a while there isn't any alcohol left in the vodka and itDOES grow undesireables. You don't want that to happen. If you bulk age over three months- CHANGE it out!

How do I know this? Believe me I just know it..................

Not a problem, appleman. The "changing" every so often sounds like a good time to have a sip.

Thanks for the info.....

Latest posts

Back