apricot wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onetoomany

Reaction score
heres my plan..going to use apricot nectar(nautural high pulpy juice)..add sugar to get it to a 27 brix..use fruit wine yeast and measure the process down to a point where i can use campden tablets to kill yeast ..so i end up with a sweet table wine..i have never made fruit wine..now my question is any advise on what brix or sg to start fermentation and what level to stop fermentation..or the whole idea is stupid..be honest..also wondering if good idea to strain pulp prior ..sorry so long :sl:sl

DO NOT DO THAT! Sulfite and srbate will not stop a fermentation, it will just stress the yeast most likely making off flavors and smells. Since you want a sweet with high abv the you cpuld fortify it right when you like the sweetness and use a low abv tolerant yeast. Doing it youyr way will most likely if it even stops fermenting which usually doesnt happen will probably restart fermentation in the bottle when the S02 levels drop in the future. The best way is to just make a decent abv wine and sweeten back after your wine has been stabilized. To stop a fermentation in progress with sulfites would require so much that you wouldnt ever want to drink this wine!

Listen to Wade! That is a really bad idea, and will not turn out well for you in the long run!

27 Brix is 15+% way to high for fruit wine.
I made apricot wine last year. I used 36# for 6 gal and sugar to 1.080. Ferment dry add f-pac and backsweeten to YOUR taste.
I agree with what Wade told you to do.

Last edited:
get the brix to about 20 or 1.085 sg..let ferment till dry ..then sweeten in future..bad advise from the wine and beer shop..could just picture bottles exploding now:slpwell i see i need to hang around and take notes from the pro's..yeah im going to hold off ..thank you:hug

DO NOT DO THAT! Sulfite and srbate will not stop a fermentation, it will just stress the yeast most likely making off flavors and smells. Since you want a sweet with high abv the you cpuld fortify it right when you like the sweetness and use a low abv tolerant yeast. Doing it youyr way will most likely if it even stops fermenting which usually doesnt happen will probably restart fermentation in the bottle when the S02 levels drop in the future. The best way is to just make a decent abv wine and sweeten back after your wine has been stabilized. To stop a fermentation in progress with sulfites would require so much that you wouldnt ever want to drink this wine!

So if you shouldn't use K-Meta or K-Sorbate to stabilize and stop fermentation of a wine....what do you use? Just let it ferment dry? I've used half a camden tablet and I think it's a tsp or fraction of a tsp to stabilize mine in the past per a recipe. Is this not the way I should be going about this?

Thanks,
Keaton

Let it go dry then backsweeten. It's very hard to stop fermentation and you will have way to much sulfites in it.

Let it go dry then backsweeten. It's very hard to stop fermentation and you will have way to much sulfites in it.

i'm sorry i didn't word that correctly...i agree with letting it ferment dry then back sweetening. but after dry you do you Kmeta and Ksorbate or not? and if you do how long should one wait before back sweetening?

Thanks!
Keaton

Yes 1 campton tab per gallon and 1/2 tsp Sorbate per gallon

Corect, wait about 1 week after stabilizing the wine before sweetening just incase and then at least another week after sweetening to make sure it doesnt start fermenting again as it can sometimes happen, not very often though.

so if the wine ferments in the bottle will the cork blow out.or will the bottle explode..just wondering?:se

Latest posts

Back