Petit Sirah from Lanza Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did taste it. Very potent. I swirled it in the glass for while then let it sit in the glass for about 10 minutes. Probably best to wait a couple more weeks before testing it again.

The 1.5 bottle has a good bit of fine lees at the bottom of the bottle while the 375 doesn't seem to have any at all.

Possible plan: Wait two weeks, test and maybe rack. Wait another 2 weeks, then Kmeta and let it age a year (dosing every 3 months).

I don't know about out your way, but it got pretty chilly in the basement last night. If I close the doors to the wine room, it will easily drop to the mid-50s.
Yea, heavy frost on the windshield this morning. At least that means the lawn will stop growing. With your plan, we can test in about two weeks, but don't plan on any movement or Kmeta until the test comes up negative and you wait another week or two. If you can't maintain a higher temperature downstairs I'd move those carboys upstairs. Your MLF might be inhibited if you start dropping below 65*F or so, I'd even aim for 70 if you can (that's right, you have a brew belt or something like it, maybe your belt/pad might help?).

If you can't maintain a higher temperature downstairs I'd move those carboys upstairs. Your MLF might be inhibited if you start dropping below 65*F or so, I'd even aim for 70 if you can (that's right, you have a brew belt or something like it, maybe your belt/pad might help?).

If I leave the doors open, the wine room will stay above 65* no problem. It's only when they're closed that the temps really dip (because there's no HVAC in there). I have a brew belt, too. I never attached it to a carboy before.

So, I'll keep the doors open and attach the brew belt to the PS. It'll be fine.

After Saturday morning (shows 36*F for York) the temps are supposed to moderate. I'd think you could maybe run it a few hours in the evening if at all. 68*F should be enough. Have you stirred lately, being careful not to introduce too much oxygen? I think that is the most important step. And do you have it elevated up on your bar, the higher the better since warm air rises?

After Saturday morning (shows 36*F for York) the temps are supposed to moderate. I'd think you could maybe run it a few hours in the evening if at all. 68*F should be enough. Have you stirred lately, being careful not to introduce too much oxygen? I think that is the most important step. And do you have it elevated up on your bar, the higher the better since warm air rises?

I'm scheduled to stir the wines tonight and am pretty careful doing it. The raised temps in the wine is causing it to release some co2. But, I'm worried that 80* is just too high. Will get past Saturday and let it coast.

I'm scheduled to stir the wines tonight and am pretty careful doing it. The raised temps in the wine is causing it to release some co2. But, I'm worried that 80* is just too high. Will get past Saturday and let it coast.

I'd unplug it tonight. I just went onto MoreWinemaking.com and it says 55*F minimum for that strain, I thought it had said 65*F, my mistake. Taste it and see if you notice any difference. I know it's a tough thing to do, but we can't just do the fun stuff, you know.

I'll be finally getting around to pitching my MLB tonight on this and the other 3 batches. More lees than I thought I'd have after the initial racking. I may rack once more before I pitch. Though there is no evidence of H2S in there.

So, for you guys who have done a PS before - what should this taste like... about 4 weeks in, oaking in the carboy, almost 3 weeks into MLF?

It's super tannic. Blueberry on the noise and palate. But, other than that, I'm not sure if this is dramatically different than it was before MLF. It's softer and more drinkable. But, it tastes like it needs a couple years to mellow.

Um, thats what MLF does. Gets rid of a harsher acid and replaces it with a softer one.

And yes, forget about it for a couple of years except for SO2 maintenance and an occasional racking.........

So, for you guys who have done a PS before - what should this taste like... about 4 weeks in, oaking in the carboy, almost 3 weeks into MLF?

It's super tannic. Blueberry on the noise and palate. But, other than that, I'm not sure if this is dramatically different than it was before MLF. It's softer and more drinkable. But, it tastes like it needs a couple years to mellow.

Um, thats what MLF does. Gets rid of a harsher acid and replaces it with a softer .

That's my question. How much softer should it be. This is my first time, so I'm not clear on HOW different it should be from when I first started MLF. So far, the answer is, "Not enough to transform the wine. But, enough to notice."

Maybe notice, if it is good and tonic, as PS should be, give it time, lots of it. Mike is right, a couple of years

That's my question. How much softer should it be.

That's why we test it! Good to use your taste buds too, if it isn't done you now have a second sample to compare it to when it does complete. You might get to a point where the testing isn't necessary, just tasting (though I'd still do the chromography test for piece of mind).

Back