Twist Top Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfries

Reaction score
Tonight we opened up a nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc that we got from
one of our wine club wineries. I was suprised that the bottle was
a twist top. What is the consensus about these bottles? Is
there a use for them of us home vintners?

Tom

20070101_055752_Project1_WinCE.png
I prefer the corks myself as like wade. I do have a few screw capped bottles that I use for a short time as a sampling bottle to my batches. I like the painted on picture and just couldn't see throwing them out.

We've used twist top bottles, crow caps and corks. We generally drink the twist tops first, but we've never had a problem with them. My parents used them back in the "olden days" and I never saw them have a problem with them either. One of our favorite commercial wines, Big House Red, comes with a screw top. The wine is still good.

I don't mind screw tops if I'm buying a bottle of wine, but they're not good for us home vinters. The bottle is weaker so although you may be able to cork it, there's a chance it will break when trying to uncork it. I throw them out when they come my way.

My two cents on this issue is I prefer the "romance" of the cork, but times, they are a changin'! Many top name commercial wineries are going with the twist top as they reportedly have very little loss from taint, as in corked wine.

Also, as I understand it, you have no reason to lay a bottle on its side with a screw-top bottle, making storage easier (for some).Time may prove me wrong, but I see corks fading away and screw-tops becoming the norm in the future, including home wine makers;screw-tops are very economical to manufacture, seem to seal very good, and easy to reseal for later use.

I just can't seem to get past the MD 2020 likeness
smiley5.gif
.Edited by: pkcook

sangwitch said:
I don't mind screw tops if I'm buying a bottle of wine, but they're not good for us home vinters. The bottle is weaker so although you may be able to cork it, there's a chance it will break when trying to uncork it. I throw them out when they come my way.
We don't cork screwtop bottles. We thoroughly clean and sanitize the cap with which it came and use that. I'd never recommend that anyone put a cork in a screw top bottle.
smiley34.gif
smiley3.gif

Good point PWP. Attempting to cork a screw-top bottle is not a safe venture.

I'm thinking I should have been more clear in my post?I would never try to cork a screw top because if it doesn't break going in, it will most likely break coming out. I don't even keep them around for any use as I'vegot plenty of the other bottles.
My apologies if I wasn't clear on that.

Latest posts

Back