Mosti Mondiale MM Meglioli Zinfandel and Syrah w Aa Grape Packs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just kicked off these two this morning, have had the kits for a couple of months, but just didn't have time.

Started each in a 20 gallon fermenter with the grape packs and the 23 L juice bags, added the frozen Chilean Cab pomace to the Zinfandel, and the Malbec skins to the Syrah. Both are thawed now, but still a little chilly to pitch yeast.

Decided to go with BM 4x4 in the Zinfandel, and RC 212 in the Syrah. I also added the supplied oak chips in primary fermenter instead of waiting til going to glass as directed. They'll both get barrel time anyhow.

The two musts just got up into the mid to upper 60's, well mixed, skins and grape packs in loose, kinda disappointed. While the smell is great and the must looks fabulous, not the SG. Tested with hydrometer and refractometer to confirm, Zinfandel at 1.083, Syrah at 1.080.

I know, I know, the instruction say initial fermentation is a 1.080 or higher, and this is pure varietal juice, but I just couldn't deal with a 12%+\- decent bodied wine. I paid pretty dang good money for these kits and just expected more, and MM usually delivers. Since I added my own skins to enhance the body, I boosted the Zinfandel up to 24 Brix and the Syrah to 23 Brix.

Yeast is on board, I just have to decide what they are, maybe Zinbernet and Syrbec. Who the heck knows.

SG on both down to 1.04ish last evening, added the nutrient packs to both. Tonight I'll have to pull the skins, press, and put each wine into a carboy to finish up, as I'll be out of town this weekend and unable to attend to the caps.

I'm hoping they are down below 1.020 by this evening, but will have to move on regardless.

Latest posts

Back